Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Car Subwoofer Encloser
Car Subwoofer Encloser [message #33080] Mon, 26 March 2001 20:37 Go to next message
Michaelbrann is currently offline  Michaelbrann
Esquire
Can anyone help me with a question I have ? I currently have a vented enclosure in my car with 2 JBL 2226 front mounted. After playing around with the box design using boxplot, the best spl level I can get is 142.7db I am trying to crack the 150db mark and have been unsuccesfull so far. I beleive that the jbl drivers are indeed very cabable however due to the limited constraints of my hatch back I am not getting there full potential. I once saw a design which had 2 speakers mounted face to face and wired out of phase of each other. I was considering adding another two 2226's in this manner I would also have an extra amplifier. Will this increase the power output? Will it lower destortion ? (I imagine it will) how will this effect the thiele small paramaters? should I calculate the box fworking on 4 drivers or 2? You propably think i'm nuts to try this however I love working with speakers and my wife won't let me power up 4 2226's in the house!

Any help would be appreciated

Re: Car Subwoofer Encloser [message #33087 is a reply to message #33080] Mon, 26 March 2001 23:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne_Parham is currently offline  Wayne_Parham
Master
I use Carlson's BoxPlot a lot too, and I often recommend it. But just like McBean's Hornresp, it can only calculate power response. It doesn't include the effects of directivity or room gain, which is considerable in the small space of a car.
Re: Car Subwoofer Encloser [message #33089 is a reply to message #33087] Tue, 27 March 2001 01:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michaelbrann is currently offline  Michaelbrann
Esquire
I currently have a box with 2 drivers mounted from the front on 1 1/4 inch MDF. I was intending to mount these from behind and then add another two facing these from the front out of phase with ther corosponding rear driver. This would create a push pull configuration with an air cavity in between the two drivers. Any thoughts?

Michael

Re: Car Subwoofer Encloser [message #33091 is a reply to message #33089] Tue, 27 March 2001 09:06 Go to previous message
Wayne_Parham is currently offline  Wayne_Parham
Master
A bipolar push-pull configuration would probably work pretty well with JBL 2226's, although they already have very low distortion specs, even when used alone. I don't recommend an isobaric configuration for these drivers.
Previous Topic: Letter from Chris Rose, Eminence US Distribution Manager
Next Topic: Eminence solves the "mystery parameters" issue - Second letter
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu May 09 12:53:05 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout