Home » Audio » General » Pioneer RT - 909
Pioneer RT - 909 [message #5025] Fri, 19 December 2008 14:28 Go to next message
Minas is currently offline  Minas
Esquire
Hello, I have Pioneer RT 909, problem is, sometimes it plays and record very nice and easy, and sometimes seems it LOCKS and no move at all!! Its in LOCK MODE!!! I can't play either way! And No recording either. Like I said it LOCKS, and no move at all! If somebody can help me what I've suppose to do?! Rewind or Fastforward runs great.
Thanks, Minas

Re: Pioneer RT - 909 [message #5026 is a reply to message #5025] Sat, 20 December 2008 11:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I have an RT-909, and haven't had that problem. The usual problem with 909's is slow speed or uneven speed, often the result of the pinch roller wearing out.

You might do a search of the Tape forum here. There have been several discussions about the Pioneer RT 909.

Re: Pioneer RT - 909 [message #5027 is a reply to message #5026] Sat, 20 December 2008 13:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Minas is currently offline  Minas
Esquire

Dear Wayne, hello and thanks for the e-mail, this happened before and later it worked again! But this time it completely stopped!! No play and no recording, NO MOVE! And when I turn it on, I smell something like burning!!!
Happy Holidays,
Minas

Re: Pioneer RT - 909 [message #32995 is a reply to message #5025] Mon, 18 May 2009 02:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
slbender is currently offline  slbender
Chancellor
The schematic of the RT-909 is one of the most complex and over indulged messes of transistors and integrated circuits I've ever encountered. My own RT-909 doesn't do anything anymore, and that is a shame, since I feel when it works its a set capable of good audio. Unfortunately, the heads wear out too fast, as the factory setting for backtension causes about 50% higher friction and stress on the tape, than most other name brand three motor machines.

Almost no 30 year old Reel to Reel that has been turned off or sitting on a shelf or in a closet for 5 years or so is gonna work. These days, since most Reel to Reel machines were no longer made after 1982/83/84 so one would have to buy at least 8 sets to be assured of getting one unit capable of proper operation at or close to factory specs - unless it had been completely upgraded and worked on by a knowledgeable technician. Even though the RT-909 is a later (circa 1980-82) machine doesn't mean much. I'll bet 95% of the RT-909's out there need repair in any given month if they were left unused for more than 6 months.

Not many people can repair this set; and they charge rather high prices, and you're lucky if they don't switch heads on you for some that are in worse condition... Hey - don't look at me, I'm as surprised as anyone that my set doesn't work either!

Several RT-909 failures I know about... include:

1) Worn heads.

2) Capstan Pinch Rollers turning to goo if exposed to 70%, 91%, or pure alcohol, or sunlight, or both...

3) The main belt rotting and falling to pieces.

4) Each of the Tension Arms has a micro-switch which fails with alarming frequency; and they aren't made anymore, both of these switches are in series and so they control the power to the capstan motor. This means a failure in either one, or both loses the ability to transport tape...

5) Various capacitors can go bad in both the IC logic, the power supply, or the audio sections - each forward / reverse direction has a separate stereo preamplifier for each playback heads pair of channels, which avoids switching the heads, but doubles the number of caps that can fail in each channel???

6) A Failure in the Motor Servo or other circuitry.

7) A failure with any of the little internal controls that set the speeds, or back-tension, reference voltages, or any of that stuff.

Cool There are a number of factory fixes, like six or seven to fix known problems and potential failures, that were known back in the 1980's in these sets but they are now impossible to locate or find (I think I have two of the seven).

9) Any combination of #1-7 or all of them.

10) Better get a huge Wallet Transplant Shocked if you're going to get this thing repaired.

10) NO! I won't work on these %^*$& things.

-Steven L. Bender

Dear Wayne, hello and thanks for the e-mail, this happened before and later it worked again! But this time it completely stopped!! No play and no recording, NO MOVE! And when I turn it on, I smell something like burning!!!
Happy Holidays,
Minas
Re: Pioneer RT - 909 [message #59423 is a reply to message #5025] Sat, 20 June 2009 05:17 Go to previous message
perry is currently offline  perry
Chancellor
hi there ..have you check the power supply?
Previous Topic: Help SABA Speakers
Next Topic: Pictures From Houston Audio Meet
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 23:44:31 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout