Home » Audio » Group Build » Group Build Line Array Project
Re: Jasper jig [message #32090 is a reply to message #32088] Thu, 26 October 2006 13:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shane is currently offline  Shane
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Oh, if I'm just gonna cut holes then a jigsaw will work. I really like the recessed look though.

Re: Jasper jig [message #32091 is a reply to message #32090] Thu, 26 October 2006 13:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
FredT is currently offline  FredT
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I agree completely that recessed drivers look better, and recessing them (especially the tweeter) also eliminates one source of distortion. But for the majority of people who don't have the tools to do the recesses, an otherwise good speaker with surface mounted drivers is better than a comparably priced speaker from a big box store with recessed drivers.

I'm building the prototypes with surface mounted drivers, but I sized the cutouts so I can easily go back after completion and do the recesses with a 1/2" rabbet bit. At some point after somebody else within driving distance has built a pair I plan to recess the drivers in mine and we'll compare the two.

Re: Routing Out The Front Baffles [message #32092 is a reply to message #32085] Thu, 26 October 2006 21:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Forty2wo is currently offline  Forty2wo
Master
If you are using a drill press, with either a hole saw or fly cutter. Mount a temp say 2’x4’ MDF table to your press. Now you can clamp a fence to it, slide your baffle along it and maintain perfect horizontal alignment.

My recessed drivers, are very close together. I scribed a vertical line, then walked off the centers with a pair of divider’s…John

Parts Expreess Group Build Discount [message #32093 is a reply to message #32062] Fri, 27 October 2006 12:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Here's some information about the group build line array that might influence anybody who's considering taking the plunge but still not decided. This news may push you over the edge.

I talked to Scott Placke, OEM Business Development Manager of Parts Express, about offering a discount for group build participants who order an entire kit package. The package includes everything needed to build the line arrays except the wood and glue. It incudes the following:

sixteen #295-301 midwoofers
two #264-578 Vifa DX25 tweeters
two #260-304 bi wire speaker terminals
one pkg #081-435 3/4" #6 driver mounting screws
four #260-411 4" ports
one pkg #095-282 solderless terminals
one pkg #095-286 solderless terminals
one roll #260-540 speaker gasketing tape
one 50ft roll #100-116 speaker wire
crossover parts to be determined

The discount for participants in this group build will be 25% off the regular price. I haven't calculated the total yet because we still need to design the crossover and specify values, but the regular price for everything except the crossover parts would be $331.43. With the discount it comes to $248.57.

Special thanks to Scott and other members of the management at Parts Express. Good folks to do business with!

Done! [message #32094 is a reply to message #32062] Mon, 30 October 2006 13:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Finished them a few minutes ago, with a textbook crossover. Not bad! I'll take them to the Bottlehead meeeing in San Antonio Saturday and get some comments.

Re: Done! [message #32095 is a reply to message #32094] Mon, 30 October 2006 15:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
colinhester is currently offline  colinhester
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Is everything set except for adjusting the XO, if needed?....C

Re: Done! [message #32096 is a reply to message #32094] Mon, 30 October 2006 20:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shane is currently offline  Shane
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Nice! Now I know what to ask for for Xmas.

Fred -- what kind of power would you recommend to run these?

Re: Done! [message #32097 is a reply to message #32095] Tue, 31 October 2006 04:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Yes, everything will stay the same except for the crossover and applying a finish to the enclosures.

Re: Done! [message #32098 is a reply to message #32096] Tue, 31 October 2006 04:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I'm currently using two bridged Monarchy SM-70 Pro amps, rated at 80 watts into 8 ohms. These were in the system yesterday when I finished the speakers. Over the next few days I plan to try them with three tube amps: Bottlehead Paramours (3.5 watts), a 300B amp (8 watts), and a triode-wired Ella KT88 amp (25 watts). I'll be taking them to the Lone Star Bottlehead meeting Saturday, and there I'm sure we'll hear them with several other low power amps including Wardsweb's two watt SEX amp.

Power Requirements [message #32099 is a reply to message #32096] Tue, 31 October 2006 08:55 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
To answer your question more specifically, line arrays are capable of some very impressive dynamics. You can turn the volume up well beyond the point where a point source speaker would begin to sound congested, and a line array will still sound clear and relaxed. If you don't have the power to reach these levels you won't be able to realize one of the most important capabilities of your speakers.

The eight watts of my 300B SET amp will power them to levels that begin to realize this potential. I also tried them with the 3.5 watt 2A3 Paramours, and these are fine if you listen only to jazz, acoustic music, and early classical, but they begin to sound congested with highly dynamic music at room filling levels. I haven't tried any higher power tube amps yet, but I expect about 25 tube watts or 50 solid state watts is all the power you would want.

Previous Topic: Smith horns
Next Topic: AudioRoundTable Group Build Room?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 09:13:30 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio