Home » Audio » Group Build » Bias supply
Latest Seth schematic [message #31729 is a reply to message #31724] Fri, 27 January 2006 05:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Old Brown Eyes is currently offline  Old Brown Eyes
Chancellor

Doug, they changed the front end a bit. Would your mods still apply? My friend has already purchased the iron and built the amps (just finished the other mono block last night) so I doubt he would be willing to go to a different OPT. But he might consider some front end changes or something like that. Can you give me a hint about the mods?

Russ

Galahad Amp [message #31730 is a reply to message #31728] Fri, 27 January 2006 09:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I'm gonna build one of these, looks good.

But I want to have a nice chassis built, make this one a show piece. So I guess I better wait 'til the details are ironed out.

Re: Latest Seth schematic [message #31731 is a reply to message #31729] Fri, 27 January 2006 09:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PakProtector is currently offline  PakProtector
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Well, I don't really want to offer public support to that design due to its main parts source. I would offer it in private, and it is still valid with the new driver circuitry.
cheers,
Douglas

Re: Galahad Amp [message #31732 is a reply to message #31730] Fri, 27 January 2006 09:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Good idea.

Re: Latest Seth schematic [message #31733 is a reply to message #31731] Fri, 27 January 2006 09:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Does that amp use an autoformer?

Re: Galahad Amp [message #31734 is a reply to message #31732] Fri, 27 January 2006 09:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Hey-Hey!!!,
I have a bit of stuff distracting me right now. I plan to put the mono amps on a 10" x 18" plate. I need to make a drawing of the layout, and I'll publish that as soon as it's done. Going to leave room for grid chokes, but build the first with grid resistors for cost simiplicity reasons.

The most critical thing left to set its value for is the dropping R for the front end g2, and the size of the capacitor for bypass to ground. Since it's a PP stage, the bypass cap size is a bit less critical.

Got some cool frame-grid, high-gm pentodes for $2 each at Radio Electric Supply...looking good from here.
cheers,
Douglas

Re: Galahad Amp [message #31735 is a reply to message #31734] Fri, 27 January 2006 10:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Sounds good, I'm really looking forward to it.

I have a matched pair of Electro-Harmonics 2A3 tubes, so I'll get another pair coming. Guess I better make time to do a shopping list. But the chassis fabrication is probably the thing that will take the longest. I'd like to have it built from steel plate, bent, welded and ground smooth, then sent to be chromed.

yes it does... [message #31736 is a reply to message #31733] Fri, 27 January 2006 13:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
The CT inductor the 2A3's grids are attached to is the divice in question. Ground its centre, and drive one end. The signal at the other end is 180-degrees out of phase. It is interleaved to make sure the two are of equal magnitude and phase-opposite. It does work well if driven by a low impedance source.

If I didn't like a straight diff amp, as drawn for Galahad, it is an attractive option. The stage as drawn also has room for improvement( read that: well tweaked complication ). It has to look possible for the lower skill/confidence levels too. ONe can either spend a lot of time with support, or a lot of time simplifying. I think the end result of the former results in better amps...:) The end result of the latter is greater profit, so that's a non-issue in this forum.
cheers,
Douglas

Re: Bias supply [message #31737 is a reply to message #31719] Sun, 29 January 2006 18:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
2wo is currently offline  2wo
Baron

Don’t lose heart.

A P-P 2a3 is a good thing and this circuit look like a winner.

It may look complicated at first glance, with it’s pos and neg supply’s, grid choke and feedback.
But there is no reason why it could not be built in stages.

Start with the basic front end, hold off on the CCS for the moment. Leave out the grid choke and feed back for now and use cathode bias for the first cut.

This way we don’t need a neg power supply to get music going. and we have something that looks like the attached. I did not try to redesign the input section for single supply operation. Dougles is the pentode expert. This may not be Douglas’s amp, but the bones are there.

My apologies to Douglas for diddling with his design, he puts this stuff in for good reasons but how good does an amp sound that doesn’t get built?

At the last NE Bottlehead meet, I got to listen to Zacster’s 6b4 amp. Which is a cathode bias with a Curcio Front end, built on a ST70, no feedback.

It sounded outstanding. Has me dragging my ST70 out of the dungeon, for yet another flogging.

I think this is a good approach. Listen for a while, then add the feedback circuit or the grid chokes.

Next we need to address the Neg supply, not a big deal by it’s self. Just leave a bit of room under your chassie for a 3"x3" or so transformer. Now we can add the CSS (BTW Jim McShane Has a kit of CSS parts for the "bargain basement amp that they are working on over at the DEC forum. They lifted it form Guienevere).

With the Neg supply in place you can try fixed bias for the outputs if you wish.
I like cathode bias but if you have a neg supply it is easy enough to try it.

This way you can try one thing at a time and see if it is your cup of tea, with no waste save for a few resistors.

Re: yes it does... [message #31738 is a reply to message #31736] Tue, 31 January 2006 12:53 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Jeff Lessard is currently offline  Jeff Lessard
Esquire
"The stage as drawn also has room for improvement(read that: well tweaked complication). It has to look possible for the lower skill/confidence levels too."

The Seth is a simple platform that offers lots of room for eventual improvements. Everyone is most welcome to offer their ideas about how to improve it.

"One can either spend a lot of time with support, or a lot of time simplifying. I think the end result of the former results in better amps...:) The end result of the latter is greater profit, so that's a non-issue in this forum."

It appears that you obviously miss the original point of the Seth by a mile or two. The main goal was simply to offer a simple PP design, easy to build for the first timer in amp building from scratch. Nothing more. I'm a strong believer that you have to walk before you can run. In my case I think it's much better for a rookie to start simple than to start with something complicated. Feel totally free to think otherwise.

Previous Topic: In the proper Tube tradition...
Next Topic: inductor winding and bobbins
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 20 04:49:45 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout