Home » Audio » General » New DIY modded FM tuner reviews on TIC
New DIY modded FM tuner reviews on TIC [message #3131] Mon, 22 May 2006 18:18 Go to next message
3moons is currently offline  3moons
Baron
We have finally got "a round to it". Two new DIY modified tuner reports have been posted at www.fmtunerinfo.com . I thank Bob and Ray for their mods on the 3636.
The links are as follows.
http://www.fmtunerinfo.com/moddedtuners.html#ST-3636

http://www.fmtunerinfo.com/moddedtuners.html#KT-5020

The actual DIY changes to the 5020 are here.

http://www.fmtunerinfo.com/moddedtuners.html#KT-5020

Re: New DIY modded FM tuner reviews on TIC [message #3134 is a reply to message #3131] Tue, 23 May 2006 08:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

So do you like the Fine Gold caps better than the Black Gates? That's what it looked like from the 5020 write-up.

Re: New DIY modded FM tuner reviews on TIC [message #3135 is a reply to message #3134] Tue, 23 May 2006 09:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
Hi Wayne,
As far as electrolytics in a transistor audio signal path go, I personally prefer, Sanyo OS-CON caps. I've now replaced stock caps and/or Black Gates in my personal tuners and in several Scott Nixon DAC's (after the tube). But for my favorite Nixon DAC I did use polypropylene coupling caps. It had to be built in a larger chassis of course. Having said all that, one friend preferred the Black Gates in a tuner over Sanyo's. But for me, the OS-CONs sound a little sweeter. A little less bright at the top. The next guy may want that. I used a mix of Sanyo's and Nichicon Fine Gold's in the Kenwood KT-5020 because I was working with parts (and correct values) available off my work bench. In the direct signal path I used two Fine Gold's for coupling before the output buffer, 10uf, the correct value per the schematic. After the buffer I used four Sanyo's for coupling of a larger value than stock 22 uf. I would have used all Sanyo's but didn't have any at 10 uf. Also change out three 'decoupling caps' with Fine Gold's. I haven't built a tuner using all Fine Gold's. So I guess I haven't really answered your question! Sorry Wayne. 8:-) jim...

Re: New DIY modded FM tuner reviews on TIC [message #3136 is a reply to message #3135] Tue, 23 May 2006 10:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Thanks for your input, Jim. I prefer polypropylenes, but when values get bigger than about 100uF, they just take too much real estate. I've used various Black Gates and Cerafines with good results. I've also heard good things about a particular Panasonic line, although I haven't tried 'em yet.

Re: New DIY modded FM tuner reviews on TIC [message #3137 is a reply to message #3136] Tue, 23 May 2006 10:07 Go to previous message
Baron
So many choices, so little time....... better spent listening to music!

Previous Topic: DIY RCA interconnects
Next Topic: Yamaha M-50
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 10:55:57 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout