Home » Audio » General » GPAF Update and Comments
GPAF Update and Comments [message #3055] Tue, 09 May 2006 08:10 Go to next message
Jim Griffin is currently offline  Jim Griffin
Master

Much thanks to Wayne for hosting the GPAF. I had a great time and enjoyed meeting everyone. Too bad that I'm no longer living in Texas so that I could interface with such guys as Fred, Jim, Skip, and others on a more routine basis.

I was pleased to receive positive comments from several folks on the line arrays. As Fred said--once you go to line arrays you'll never go back.

For the small bipolar CSS FR125S/WR125S MLTL that several of you liked, you can purchase the drivers, terminals, and such from www.creativesound.ca for $260 per pair. The box plans are on the web at:
http://homepage.mac.com/tlinespeakers/FAL/downloads/BipolarMLTLDesignPak.pdf

Thanks to everyone for a great GPAF experience.

Jim

CSS Bipolar Speakers [message #3075 is a reply to message #3055] Wed, 10 May 2006 07:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
FredT is currently offline  FredT
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I liked these. They sounded very good, and I think the copper phase plug in each driver is really cool looking. Putting a grill on them would be akin to putting a bra on the Venus de Milo. Linda liked them too; enough to inform me that I'm to build a pair for our son. So I ordered the kit from CSS today!

Re: CSS Bipolar Speakers question [message #3109 is a reply to message #3075] Sat, 13 May 2006 21:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shane is currently offline  Shane
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Jim, I really liked these speakers as well and was wondering what kind of sensitivity they have as a finished product? I see that with the drivers in parallel they are setting at 4 ohms. What kind of amp wattage minimum would you recommend to pair with these?

Shane

Re: CSS Bipolar Speakers question [message #3112 is a reply to message #3109] Sun, 14 May 2006 06:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jim Griffin is currently offline  Jim Griffin
Master
Shane,

The drivers are wired in parallel but since their acoustical fields don't overlap (except low in frequency below the baffle step frequency), you get no acoustical gain at say 1000 Hz where sensitivity is normally specified. You do get the benefit of needing no baffle step compensation which can range up to 6 dB with conventional speakers. However, you do get an impedance sensitivity improvement of 3 dB (going from 8 to 4 ohms). As the basic CSS 4.5" driver is rated at 86 dB, you could theorize that these speakers are 89 dB sensitivity.

I have run these speakers with a small 30 watts SS amp with very good results (the volume control was less than half way). I suspect that you could get by with less wattage than even 30 watts.

On the upper limit of wattage these speakers do seem to go flat as you jack-up their input because thermal compression starts to occur. I suspect that your best listening levels would be under 60 watts input which should produce SPLs just over 100 dB. This level is plenty loud for a small to mid sized room but in a larger space you may wish for more loudness.

Jim

Thanks Jim [message #3113 is a reply to message #3112] Sun, 14 May 2006 10:16 Go to previous message
Shane is currently offline  Shane
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Thanks. I've got an NAD 320Bee that is rated 40 or 50 watts, I don't remember for sure, so it should do the job nicely!

Previous Topic: Lone Star Bottleheads, May 20th
Next Topic: Vid on Guerrilla's site
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri May 17 06:48:18 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout