Home » Audio » Craftsmen » any stocks of Live Oak up north?
ranting and raving [message #29938 is a reply to message #29937] Sun, 28 October 2007 17:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PakProtector is currently offline  PakProtector
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
They cut down the tree, because of its connection to their poor behaviour. It wasn't all that young a tree, and now it's gone.

It was OT, and I should probably have thought about it more carefully before pressing the 'POST' button. Should probably be taken out.

Douglas

Re: I hate Ipe. [message #29939 is a reply to message #29933] Mon, 29 October 2007 07:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skip Pack is currently offline  Skip Pack
Baron
Funny you should mention Ipe. I finished the switchbox I had
mentioned in the group build forum a while back -- just cleaning
up the exterior before doing the writeup (over-dignified term
for such a simple device) to post. It's in an AL box and
very light, so I have been fixing up a little plank of ipe
to give it some heft. Chamfered the edges very well with a
router.

Skip

Re: heh-heh-heh!!! [message #29940 is a reply to message #29935] Wed, 31 October 2007 07:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Epstein is currently offline  Bill Epstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Have you thought about sneaking aboard the Constitution some night with a prybar dressed in Indian clothes?

It is in Boston Harbor, after all.

Re: heh-heh-heh!!! [message #29941 is a reply to message #29940] Thu, 01 November 2007 13:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PakProtector is currently offline  PakProtector
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
hey-Hey!!!,
First of all, it is still crewed. I have no desire to meet any of its officers under such circumstances. Second, the Live Oak was not in its planking but in the revolutionary main gun deck supports that tied the massive cannon to the hull. The result was a ship that was faster and had heavier cannon. Those supports were removed during the 1920's restoration and nearly destroyed her. The replacements are white oak composites.
cheers,
Douglas

Nothing else will do unfortunately. [message #29955 is a reply to message #29932] Sat, 22 December 2007 17:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Poindexter is currently offline  Poindexter
Viscount

Howcum?  Matching something?

Poinz

Re: any stocks of Live Oak up north? [message #60505 is a reply to message #29930] Sat, 01 August 2009 17:28 Go to previous message
McKinneyMike is currently offline  McKinneyMike
Esquire
Live Oak is indeed a White Oak, but it is not harder than the true northern White Oak. I have sold hardwood lumber for over 10 years and never heard a claim like this and I live in Texas. It is not a commercially logged tree, more than anything due to its growth habits, more than its being protected. It is not an Oak that is desirable vs the northern White Oak. I have seen it from small sawyers, but it is a gnarly wood that is not as stable as its northern cousins
Previous Topic: Non Metalic Chassis
Next Topic: Finishing Padauk is a pleasure
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 07:27:47 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout