Home » Audio » Craftsmen » any stocks of Live Oak up north?
any stocks of Live Oak up north? [message #29928] Sat, 27 October 2007 19:39 Go to next message
PakProtector is currently offline  PakProtector
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
hey-Hey!!!,
I want some Southern Live Oak for an amp project. I can't quite run to the Gulf Coast with a saw and truck, so I ask here. Teak I can find, along with many other exotics from all over the globe. No Live Oak...
cheers,
Douglas

Re: any stocks of Live Oak up north? [message #29929 is a reply to message #29928] Sun, 28 October 2007 09:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

A couple years back, when we were building prototypes of my wood tweeter horn, we needed a relatively inexpensive wood that we could cut down to size on the CNC table. We needed fairly large chunks, so I suggested oak. Last time I checked, that was the budget wood. The guys at my cabinet shop laughed and said, "it's been a while since you priced oak, hasn't it?" We use a ton of different types of wood around here, so I thought myself pretty familiar with it. But I hadn't really paid attention to oak. It isn't the same as it used to be, oak is a little less common now days, and while it isn't as expensive as some exotics, it isn't cheap anymore either.

Re: any stocks of Live Oak up north? [message #29930 is a reply to message #29929] Sun, 28 October 2007 10:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
this isn't just any Oak. It is Quercus Virginiana. It's protected from commercial logging. However, if some white boys hang nooses from one, it can be cut down without raising much issue. It is 50% more dense than White oak for one. It is battleship sturctural stuff, as used in the Constitution, which accounts for the Navy hunting it after storms.
cheers,
Douglas

What about Brazilian epay? [message #29931 is a reply to message #29930] Sun, 28 October 2007 12:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
colinhester is currently offline  colinhester
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Doesn't get much more dense than this stuff, and it's waterproof...C

Re: What about Brazilian epay? [message #29932 is a reply to message #29931] Sun, 28 October 2007 13:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
nope, it's old Battleship structural stuff I want. Nothing else will do unfortunately.
cheers,
Douglas

I hate Ipe. [message #29933 is a reply to message #29931] Sun, 28 October 2007 14:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shane is currently offline  Shane
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
That stuff will kill any cutting tool instantly, I swear. It's definitely dense though. Sinks right to the bottom of a pool for sure.

Pak, you might be able to find some Live Oak on some of the carving sites. It's pretty hard for carving, but you can find some strange stuff on some of those sites.

Re: any stocks of Live Oak up north? [message #29934 is a reply to message #29930] Sun, 28 October 2007 14:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I see. Interesting. Must be expensive stuff. What does it cost per board foot?

heh-heh-heh!!! [message #29935 is a reply to message #29934] Sun, 28 October 2007 15:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
have to find it for sale in order to answer that question. Basic answer is it costs as much as it costs.
cheers,
Douglas

Re: I hate Ipe. [message #29936 is a reply to message #29933] Sun, 28 October 2007 15:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Thanks Shane, more places to look.

I wish I were in Jena when they cut down that tree in front of the school. The photos were characteristic Live Oak...and they just cut it down and ground the stump. Serves 'em right for being so poorly behaved.
cheers,
Douglas

What are you talking about? [message #29937 is a reply to message #29936] Sun, 28 October 2007 16:16 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
colinhester is currently offline  colinhester
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
"Serves 'em right for being so poorly behaved."

Previous Topic: Non Metalic Chassis
Next Topic: Finishing Padauk is a pleasure
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 00:31:08 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio