Home » Audio » Craftsmen » Tangband projects, Take 2
Tangband projects, Take 2 [message #29534] Mon, 27 June 2005 12:48
GarMan is currently offline  GarMan
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Remember those cute little cabinets I built a couple of months ago for the Tangband W3-871? They got trashed over the weekend in a veneering accident with a router. The lesson for Saturday, boys and girls, is to never swing a router around (or any power tools for that matter) when you’re tired and want to “rush through it to get it done”.

The bad news is the cabinets got trashed. The good news is that ONLY the cabinets got trashed and nothing else. Still got all ten fingers and got a live demonstration that my eye protection really does work.

I could have built the same cabinets again, but saw this as a sign to try something new. If one driver sounds good, two must be better, a la ELF 1.5. The lesson for Sunday was “How to make a simple 0.2 ft^3 cabinet a lot more complicated than it needs to be.”

The two cabinets only used $7 (cdn) of material (two 12”x48” MDF shelves). But it took me over six hours just to measure, cut, fit and rabbet all the panels. After a day’s worth of work, I don’t even have an assemble cabinet. I’m estimating that it would have only taken me a couple of hours to build two assemble cabinets if I only went with butt joints. But then, I wouldn’t have anything to show off. Nevertheless, I’m pretty happy in how neat and tidy everything fits. Very good practice for some of the more ambitious projects I have planned in August.

Previous Topic: Chinese Walnut Plywood
Next Topic: Another great tool deal
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 13:11:54 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout