Home » Audio » General » Hey Wayne, Let the fun begin
Hey Wayne, Let the fun begin [message #2928] Thu, 30 March 2006 18:03 Go to next message
Leland Crooks is currently offline  Leland Crooks
Master
Had our first tornado warning of the season. I love this time of year. For those of you not on the plains there's nothing like watching those hot cells roll in.

After you've been here a while, you can tell just by looking at the clouds whether to get in the basement. I've only done it three or 4 times in my 4*** years here. The rest of the time you stand on the front porch and watch

Re: Hey Wayne, Let the fun begin [message #2929 is a reply to message #2928] Thu, 30 March 2006 18:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shane is currently offline  Shane
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
We haven't had any severe weather here in Amarillo yet, but we did have another fire on the highway. It may still be going, I haven't checked the news yet.

I wish they had basements in this town. They are few and far between.

Re: Hey Wayne, Let the fun begin [message #2930 is a reply to message #2929] Thu, 30 March 2006 19:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Master
I saw you lived in KS for a while. Were you around Wichita when the Andover tornado hit? It was a beaut. Huge. My father in law has video. A GMC Jimmy stuck 3 stories up in a building at Boeing.

Re: Hey Wayne, Let the fun begin [message #2931 is a reply to message #2928] Thu, 30 March 2006 20:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Norris Wilson is currently offline  Norris Wilson
Grand Master
Hi Leland,

I love the light show from the big thunder storms. Also the gentle rolling thunder can be soothing after a cool rain as the storm moves away.

Enjoy the season, it has just begun.

My Mother lives in Midwest city, OK. She was just one half mile from the F5 that came north of Tinker AFB about five years ago.
Her words were as the tormado moved past while we were on the phone, "I have never been more scared in my life".
I could hear the roar through the walls of her apartment building, it was loud.

Norris Wilson,

Just south of Tulsa near Beggs, OK.

Re: Hey Wayne, Let the fun begin [message #2932 is a reply to message #2931] Thu, 30 March 2006 21:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Master
I'm in SE Kansas. We had an f3 hit here about 5 yrs ago. First one ever. Stood on my front porch and listened to it tear up downtown, too dark to see. At that time I lived across the street from a big church, and I said "Why are the church air conditioners on" and my son said "DAD it's a tornado" It was also about 1/2 m away. Big dif between 3 and a 5.

Got a brand new downtown out of it. Has really revitalized this small town.

tornados in KS [message #2933 is a reply to message #2930] Fri, 31 March 2006 08:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
I happened to be living in Wichita when that tornado hit. As well as the one at Hesston, Haysville, and elswhere. The one at Hesston was a monster. Left a swath about 1/3 mile wide. We helped pick up that mess. A buddy of mine I worked with and I sat up on 235 south and watched the one in Haysville come down and miss his house by about two houses. We chased them all summer that year.

My wife and daughter were visiting my wife's mom in Hoisington when one hit there 5 or so years ago. Came down right across the street from them (literally) and took out 1/3 of the town. My daughter was so scared she stuttered for 6-8 months after that. She's 7 now and refuses to watch any kind of show on TV that depicts any type of violent storm.

Re: tornados in KS [message #2934 is a reply to message #2933] Fri, 31 March 2006 08:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
I believe the one in Hoisington was an F4. Very destructive.

Re: SO; Have you guys ever actually seen a house fly by? [message #2935 is a reply to message #2934] Fri, 31 March 2006 08:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Or was that scene in the Wizard just a fake?

Re: SO; Have you guys ever actually seen a house fly by? [message #2936 is a reply to message #2935] Fri, 31 March 2006 08:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Master
It would be shredded long before it got airborne. An F5 would be the only one big enough to do that, and it leaves scoured ground behind it. No grass, nothing. The F3 in my town picked up the concrete gazebo which sat on 3ft footings and moved it about 4 ft. Thank god it did, we had a pedestrian mall in downtown that was a disaster without a tornado. Now we have a nice new restored to 1890's downtown.

Re: tornados in KS [message #2937 is a reply to message #2934] Fri, 31 March 2006 09:12 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Master
Wow, you make me feel like a piker. The only one I've ever actually seen in person was here, after dark, and you could only make out the shape in the lightning and power line flashes.

I've watched many rotate and try to form overhead though. What's really suprising is the lack of casualties with most of these. Most of the folks in tornado alley know enough to get the hell out of the way.

Previous Topic: Cryogenically treated audio components
Next Topic: Anyone noticing the huge amount of commercial products at DIY shows lately?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue May 07 03:00:06 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio