Home » Audio » Craftsmen » Finished PI
Finished PI [message #29091] Mon, 24 May 2004 18:39 Go to next message
GarMan is currently offline  GarMan
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Finally got myself a router! Something I should have done a long time ago. And now, my One Pi's are finally finished.

The 2 amp Bosch router with Freud bits carved through the plywood like butter. The laminate bit took care of all the protruding edges and I had a lot of fun with the round-over bit. Even routed a cool flared port on the front baffle of the cabinet. The port was extended behind the baffle with a couple of wooden blocks.

Aside from the router, there was a couple of other things I discoved on this project. 600 and 800 grit sandpaper do make a difference. If you work your way through the 100, 150, and 220 grit to the 600 and 800 stuff, you get a finish like glass. The second thing I discovered was varnish paste. I'm never picking up a brush again. This stuff worked just like car wax. Rub it on, and wipe off excess. Let it dry for about an hour and buff with a buffing cloth. No dust or brush marks. Brilliant!

I've added a few photos to the OnePi library.

Gar.

Re: Finished PI [message #29092 is a reply to message #29091] Mon, 24 May 2004 23:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lon is currently offline  lon
Illuminati (2nd Degree)

I have a lot of router questions and this is a good lede for them.

Some say you have to have a plunge router while others will
favor fixed base.

If I wanted to mount the router on a router base for doing
shaping work of edges I'd need a fixed base.

But if I were using the Jasper jig to make cutouts I would
need a plunge.

Then there's the combo ones with interchangeable fixed/
plunge base.

As a starter tool, I want to get the simplest and cheapest
possible for the sort of light duty stuff I'd want to do.

Hopefully Father's Day will produce some sale merchandise.

So what kind of tips do you all have?

Re: Routers [message #29093 is a reply to message #29092] Tue, 25 May 2004 13:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GarMan is currently offline  GarMan
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
I selected my router based on several criteria:

- The particular model received best value and readers' choice in a recent tools review issue of Fine Woodworking. The sales guy also also recommended the Bosch unit. I know I shouldn't select equipment based on magazine reviews, but since I don't have the opportunity to test various models, I have to rely on something.

- You can always use a plunge router as a fixed base, but you can't use a fixed base rounter as a plunge. Mind you, a plunge router is larger and a bit more ackward to install into a table than its fixed base counterpart, but it's not impossible to do. So the decision between fixed-base and plunge was an easy one for me.

- The idea of interchangable base was very appealing to me. Two routers for the price of one! But after picking a number of different models up, I found the ergonomics of them compromised. Dedicated plunge rounters had features that an interchangable plunge didn't have. Because most of my work will be done in a plunging setup, the dedicated plunge made sense.

- Some of the features that sold me on my unit were: A trigger-style on-off switch right on the grip handle; no need to take your hands off. Plunge lock right by your thumb. Micro-plunge adjustment. Variable speed (some Dewalt units are still fixed speed). Soft start, so the router doesn't torque in your hand.

About getting a cheap unit, I've never reget getting more tool than I need. But I've experience plenty of frustration with cheap tools. Nothing kills the joy of a project faster than tools that are slow or don't work. Besides, a router's a very versatile tool, and once you get one, you'll find plenty of used for it. This coming from a guy who bought his first a week a go ;-)

BTW, invest in quality bits. You'll need them if you plan on chewing through material like 1" MFD. I've played around with my buddy's "cheap" bits on my router before I bough my own and there's a big difference between speed and quality of cut.

Gar.

Re: Porter Cable 690 and some HUEVOS! [message #29098 is a reply to message #29092] Wed, 26 May 2004 15:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BillEpstein is currently offline  BillEpstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
I have a 690, a vintage Rockwell and a big plunge Freund. The 690 does dedicated speaker hole work with the Jasper. We plunged the bit for many years before somebody invented the plunge router. The puin that comes with the jasper is longer than 3/4" so you can posiiton it in the hole and then push down on the router. This is why I use a downshear bit.
If I could only have one it would be the 690, no question.
Just be careful.

Re: Finished PI [message #29099 is a reply to message #29092] Wed, 26 May 2004 16:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wunhuanglo is currently offline  wunhuanglo
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Hi:
I've had a PC690 for about 20 years now as my only router.

I recently bought a Bosch 1613.

For my money, the difference between the 690 and the Bosch is the difference between a broken baseball bat and a Purdy shotgun. I love the hell out of the Bosch.

FWIW, a plunge router is a fixed base router if you don't plunge with it ;-)

Re: Porter Cable 690 and some HUEVOS! [message #29100 is a reply to message #29098] Wed, 26 May 2004 20:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Martinelli is currently offline  Bill Martinelli
Illuminati (1st Degree)

I'm with Epstein. vintage Porter Cable speedmatic that has not been detached from the circle cutter for years. I have a Bosch 220V plunge router that I dont think has been taked out of the router table for years either. I like the performance of the big Bosch. But, the trigger is always getting clogged with sawdust and needs to be cleaned or it wont work, and the collet on this is really a bad POS. The vari speed is a must. Always get 1/2" shank cutter when available. As Gary said, dont even bother with cheap cutters. If you have shop space consider a shaper. Now days you can get a shaper spindle adaptor to accept router bits. This saves a lot of money since you wont have to purchase expensive shaper cutters just for a little odd or an end.

Bill

Re: Porter Cable 690 and some HUEVOS! [message #29101 is a reply to message #29098] Thu, 27 May 2004 00:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)

My preference is for a fixed base so the fact that the
Jasper will work with a fixed base is helpful.

On my tool quest yesterday I picked up a light weight
Black and Decker Workmate. Don't get excited... this
is the model 115 and cost $15 plus tax.

I have no shop and don't work with tools regularly. I
also don't put workmates together regularly, so I wanted one
with maybe fewer parts to practice on. Same goes for
routers: an inexpensive one means that if I am no good at it,
smaller investment made.

There is the old wisdom from the pool hall: you should
never buy a pool cue with money other than that which you've
already won.

I have the wait and see attitude toward tool investment.

So a $15 dollar workmate ought to go well with a $50 router.
The first bit I'll need is a chamfer. My current project
I call the Jim Beams. This is because they are the shape of
the gift carton a Christmas bottle of booze comes in. The
design is by J. Krutke and uses a single Tangband W3-871S.

First problem I noticed is that the 3" cutout I have for the
driver made with a 3" hole saw rather than a jig leaves
little room for the terminals at the rear. The problem
migth have been alleviated if I had used 1/2 baffle thickness
rather than 3/4 but I only had one size stock to use.

A chamfer would relieve the backside and is also
recommended by Mr. Krutke.

I figure I can set up outside of where I live since
it's summer with the small workmate.

Re: Porter Cable 690 and some HUEVOS! [message #29102 is a reply to message #29100] Thu, 27 May 2004 00:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)

I'm appreciative of all who have replied to this. But my
progress is pretty slow.

I suppose one of the reasons everything goes so slow is:
I have one set of flat packs and any misstep just about
kills the project and whatever investment in materials
and tools.

One handy part of having a 3" hole cutter is it can be
used for the front (speaker cutout) and the back (terminal
cups are 3" too.) And so it goes. I should be rabetting
the baffles for flush mount as well. It is considered a
requirement of the design. And not much play for screw
mounting those little 3" Tangbands. I am doing a practice
mount for all these things: an open baffle that can also be used
for break-in using the technique of running white noise
through the speaks at high volume in a sealed and damped
container.

Re: Porter Cable 690 and some HUEVOS! [message #29103 is a reply to message #29102] Thu, 27 May 2004 21:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Martinelli is currently offline  Bill Martinelli
Illuminati (1st Degree)
For breaking in the speakers you can put the drivers face to face, about 6-10 inches appart. connect the speakers out of phase. Meaning connect the red wire from the amp to the red terminal on one speaker. Connect the red wire from the amp to the black terminal on the other speaker. This will give you very significant noice cancellation.

Re: Porter Cable 690 and some HUEVOS! [message #29104 is a reply to message #29103] Fri, 28 May 2004 00:40 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Ok. This is slightly diffferent ( by my reading) than described
over at full range driver site. I've done the break-in routine on two
pairs of speaks. Method used was putting the speaks face to face and
bolting them together. I checked the polarity by using a
small battery and test leads and hooked up the wires push and
pull respectively. It still makes a good amount of racket.

When doing this procedure it'd be handy to have a small safe
with wire leads drilled in the back. :-)

Previous Topic: Veneering video's
Next Topic: a baffleing question
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Apr 24 21:05:11 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout