Home » Audio » Home Theater » The Power of Nightmares
The Power of Nightmares [message #28811] Sun, 30 January 2005 12:39 Go to next message
lon is currently offline  lon
Illuminati (2nd Degree)

I am a total n00b at downloading video. But there is a
documentary I'd like to acquire from some sites that use
Bittorrent. I only have dialup so I don't even know
if it's practical. The doc. is called The Power of Nightmares
from BBC by Adam Curtis.

But BBC says it's have this big problem making a dvd release.

That leaves BitTorrent for getting a version for personal
use.

How does the d/l handle formatting? If the doc. was
done in European Pal format, will the BitTorrent d/l
make something like a vcd file from the source? I'm
wanting to make it playable on a zone 1 dvd system or
run it through a laptop w/projector hookup.

Re: The Power of Nightmares [message #28812 is a reply to message #28811] Mon, 31 January 2005 00:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
There is a difference between PAL and NTSC, so it may not work for you. But MPEG is universal, so you may not have a problem. It depends on what format they've used. In any case, converters and editors are available, so if the file is some sort of format you can't use, you can easily convert it.
There are a lot of other programs like that out there too, so you might look around. I use a hardware converter, which is nice when dealing with composite video. But since yours will be a file, you can probably grab one of these programs as a demo, use it for your conversion, and then let the evaluation period lapse.

Re: The Power of Nightmares [message #28813 is a reply to message #28811] Mon, 07 February 2005 10:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mark Margiotta is currently offline  Mark Margiotta
Esquire
Ion,

All BitTorrent does to the file is redistributes the cost of the uplaod to the downloaders. It does not change the file in any way. When a file is made available using HTTP, all upload cost is placed on the hosting machine. With BitTorrent, when multiple people are downloading the same file at the same time, they upload pieces of the file to each other. This redistributes the bandwidth and the cost of upload to the downloaders. So the file format will not be at all changed. If it was PAL to start with, its going to be PAL when you get it. If it is PAL you could burn it to DVD, but it would be unplayable in most DVD players in this country. What you could do is render the file from MPEG or AVI to raw video in a video editing program such as adobe premiere or final cut pro. Then you could burn it onto a DVD in NTSC with region 1 coding.

Mark

Re: The Power of Nightmares [message #28814 is a reply to message #28813] Mon, 07 February 2005 11:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)

That's Lon BTW.

Yes, the subject of digital video is a complex one. I have a lot of questions about it.

Over at a place called afterdawn, I put out the request to
have someone with BT cut a set of disks for me-- someone who knows
what they're doing. Afterdawn looks like a good site like AudioRoundtable only focussing on video more than audio. I feel fortunate to have found it after the poor start I had with some
BitTorrent sites.

Re: The Power of Nightmares [message #28838 is a reply to message #28811] Sat, 20 October 2007 23:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Crystal is currently offline  Crystal
Viscount
Once you've downloaded this movie thought bittorrent. Try using a program called convertxtodvd. Im pretty sure that you can load the movie file there and use it to burn to a blank dvd. The default setting should be set to convert files to region 1 settings.

Crystal

Re: The Power of Nightmares [message #28839 is a reply to message #28838] Sun, 21 October 2007 10:11 Go to previous message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Wow, this message was made a couple years ago.

Not familiar with convertxtodvd but the usual avi files made on Bt
can be burned using Nero.

Other video help can be found at CDfreaks, videohellp.com and Afterdawn
which has guides for many programs.

Previous Topic: HT system
Next Topic: Paradigm's
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 17:21:25 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio