Home » Audio » General » Thoughts
Piffle [message #2873 is a reply to message #2871] Sun, 26 March 2006 09:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MWG is currently offline  MWG
Grand Master
Is my middle name Informal nonsense, idle talk.

Re: Piffle [message #2874 is a reply to message #2873] Sun, 26 March 2006 09:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Thanks. So what we do here; unlike the women, is formal nonsense and busy talk?
I've never heard that expression. Good one.
I've always enjoyed talking to women; and I tend to agree that my hobbies are kinda pointless. I probably should be spending more time fixing the house.
"Excuse me Mr. big-shot electrical genious; maybe you can fix the overhead lights in the den? I need a flashlight to find the bathroom in there."

Anyone remmember a TV show called the " Life Of Riley"; with William Bendix?

Re: Thoughts [message #2875 is a reply to message #2872] Sun, 26 March 2006 10:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shane is currently offline  Shane
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
No way! I went through my collection and got rid of anything I hadn't listened to for a year or more and that didn't have any sentimental meaning or such. Course I kept all my guitar reference music and some of the classic rock stuff, but got rid of most of the junk I collected during the 80's.

Re: Piffle [message #2876 is a reply to message #2874] Sun, 26 March 2006 10:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Grand Master
Yeah, I watched it when it came on TV after listening to it on radio. Remember his neighbor Gillis? Tom D'Andrea I believe.
On a different note my mc-275 amp developed a problem so I put the ss amp back in and can hear an immediate difference in sound. The ss sound is good but sounds bottled up sort of. Probably better descriptive terms out there but it just seems closed in compared to the tube amp. Must be the different distortion in the tube amp.
I have to go spray a couple of acres since it looks like no rain for a few hours.

Re: Piffle [message #2878 is a reply to message #2876] Sun, 26 March 2006 10:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Spray a couple acres?? Man; that sounds like work. I have to go out and sweep the patio.
Riley used to call his wife," Honeybee." And he was always hiding from her but he could never outwit her. Gillis; was he good in that part or what?

Re: Thoughts [message #2879 is a reply to message #2875] Sun, 26 March 2006 10:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Junk during the 80's; that pretty much describes the whole music scene then. Tell me; how did you manage to throw stuff out? I need a course in how to do that.
I threw some records out then went back to the curb and brought a couple back in. "Geez; I can't throw that out; it's good."

Re: Piffle [message #2881 is a reply to message #2878] Sun, 26 March 2006 12:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Grand Master
Just about finished spraying and guess what? It starts to rain. So now I can do it all over again.
I forgot to ask you are your 846's the A or B model? I have never heard a pair of the B model speakers. They're supposed to sound better because of the change in venting.

Re: Thoughts [message #2884 is a reply to message #2879] Sun, 26 March 2006 12:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shane is currently offline  Shane
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Well, most any guitar music I kept ---Clapton, Vaughan, any blues of course, and anything that had a song or technique I admired on it.

Any hair band junk that didn't have a cool guitar part on it went. That was about 99% of them. Granted, most people don't take into account that a lot of those musicians were studio musicians with impeccable technique and abilities, but the songs were just soooo cheesy. Unfortunately it was either that, or Billy Ocean--ewwww. Course we had Metallica and such so not all was lost.

Like I said if it wasn't a classic (Stones, etc....,I hadn't listened to it in at least a year, and it was something that could be replaced later, out it went...

Now equipment is another matter. My main system until this fall was a 1978 Kenwood Integrated amp and same year tuner with a set of Polk Monitor 5B's. But after hearing the Stoetkit and other tube amps at Waynes, I have future plans for a tube system. Unfortunately, I don't make much money and with two kids it'll probably take me a year or so to just gather all the parts to build that 6EM7 amp.

Re: Piffle [message #2885 is a reply to message #2881] Sun, 26 March 2006 13:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lon is currently offline  lon
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Talk about taking piffle to a new level. :-/

Oh well.

I know that in the Fitzmaurice forum there's a lot of musicians.

But the stuff they build -- you know for rock bands and stuff--
how many of _them_ do you think are tone deaf or have tinitus?

As to the live vs reproduced . I think I good argument can
be made for the is it live or is it Memorex question. By this I
mean that the critical faculty is using a false comparison:
radio or other prerecorded processed sound.

I got into all that after a bad build. What the guy said about
the build in a very professional hobbyist way had to be bs.
He had to be tone deaf. I've come to think this about anyone
using a driver under 4 inches like the Tangband W871. My TB's
have gone into everything: TL, sealed box ported out the back.
I did get sort of a good effect from open baffle on a board
but that is less than handy or elegant.

Hey, maybe it's me who's tone deaf. I really don't have any
good baseline for comparison. That's why I proposed
audiology exams. I mean if you can spend thousands of dollars
on a rig, it should be small change to have an exam you
prob'ly haven't had since grade school.

Re: Piffle [message #2887 is a reply to message #2881] Sun, 26 March 2006 13:30 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Mine have the round vents one on each side. I believe thats the B but maybe not. Whats your opinion of the Valencias?

Previous Topic: Funny Life
Next Topic: Metallic glass
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri May 17 03:10:07 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout