Home » Audio » Home Theater » HDTV Here and Now
HDTV Here and Now [message #28703] Mon, 26 January 2004 12:19 Go to next message
footsurg is currently offline  footsurg
Chancellor
As far as I am concerned HDTV is already here and is here to stay. The local networks have until the end of 2006 to get all of their equipment broadcasting digital. Many have already done just that. Here in Tulsa CBS,NBC,ABC,FOX, and UPN have already started to broadcast digital. You need a HDTV settop converter that can be fed signals OTA (off the air) in order to see the digital broadcasts. Now granted, most of these are not in 1080i yet. They are digital broadcasts in 480i. The majors all have prime time HDTV shows that are in native 1080i. "Law and Order", "Navy CSI", "The Practice", "ER", and the "Tonight Show" are just a few that I can think of that are broadcast in native 1080i on a routine basis. I am a Direct TV subscriber and the HDTV package includes HBO, Shotime, Cinemax, ESPN, Discovery HD Theater, HD Network, HD network movies, and PPV High Definition. Between the OTA and Direct TV feed, that is around 12 channels right now that regularly broadcast in high definition. HDN and Discovery broadcast 24 hours a day in HD. The VOOM network is a new all HD network that 38 channels. I am sure that all of these will become available to Direct TV and Dish before long. I am not sure about what is on cable. The consensus seems to be that DSS present more HD options right now. A lot of cable providers have not even gone fully digital yet. DSS has been fully digital from the start. DSS has a big jump start on cable on the HD race right now. Here is an interesting link regarding HDTV in Oklahoma, for those who care. http://www.hdtvok.com/

Re: HDTV Here and Now [message #28704 is a reply to message #28703] Mon, 26 January 2004 21:59 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Great information Mark, thanks!

I'll bet the transition from 480 line TV to HDTV is sort of like the transition from albums to CD. Slow at first and then almost overnight after it reaches "critical mass."

Previous Topic: Has anyone compared the Panasonic SA-XR45 to expensive amplifiers?
Next Topic: Sony AVD S500ES
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue May 14 17:18:00 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout