Home » Audio » Home Theater » Favorites
Favorites [message #28698] Fri, 12 December 2003 14:51 Go to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
What's your favorite HDTV? Plasma TV? HDTV Source?

Re: Favorites [message #28699 is a reply to message #28698] Mon, 12 January 2004 12:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
artsybrute is currently offline  artsybrute
Baron
Front Projectors are coming down in price. I plan to get one eventually. Besides funds, the only thing holding it up is possible plans to move. Don't want to mount a projector and set up a room and then take it all apart.

I dropped cable tv and now have an over the air HDTV receiver, not yet hooked up due to the need to mount a large antenna on the roof, snow, and again possible moving plans. Cable has Discovery and History, but I should be able to receive four PBS stations (which has always been my favorite) as well as the networks, which I would probably not watch except for important news breaks or DeNiro.

Re: Favorites [message #28700 is a reply to message #28699] Mon, 12 January 2004 14:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
I've been noticing that many networks are getting on the HDVT bandwagon. Seems like it got a slow start, but once it gets rolling, I'll bet it will become popular in a hurry. Sort of like Hi-Fi, once a person sees good hi-resolution content a Hi-Res screen, normal TV looks permanently blurred.

That's the hope... [message #28701 is a reply to message #28700] Tue, 13 January 2004 09:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
artsybrute is currently offline  artsybrute
Baron
It's been a political battle more than anything else.

The hardcore people know a lot more about this than I do. But the basic idea is this:

The FCC decreed that all TV's need to go digital within a certain number of years because digital is more bandwidth-efficient than analog. Additionally, digital is so efficient that it can transmit 1080 interlaced lines of resolution to your set. But in that same band, it can instead send four lower-resolution programs. Many companies would rather send four times the content with four times the advertising. Satellite and cable would rather charge for four times the programming content. PBS has helped lead the way for 1080i.

If nobody sees the 1080i pictures in time, then the standards get set at lower resolution and it's over. BTW, lower resolution could mean the resolution you now see on a DVD, which most people feel is not too shabby (until they see 1080i, which even most electronics outlets are not set up to display).

So the race was on, and it looked like NYC would get HDTV. Two major networks were building multimillion dollar transmitters on top of the WTC towers and were due to start transmitting around the end of 2001. The terrorist attack wiped that out, of course, but the transmitters are now finished (I think) atop the Empire State Building.

Bottom line seems to be that the more people who actually see hi-res, the higher the chances of hi-res material being broadcast.

Good sources of info for this are:

1. The FAQ: http://www.samsungusa.com/cgi-bin/nabc/tech_info/tv/b2c_tv_dtv_main.jsp?eUser=

2. Dale Cripps has made bringing HDTV to the public his life's work: http://www.ilovehdtv.com

3. Where it's available: http://www.titantv.com

I am not associated with any of these guys. It's just that the technology is here now and relatively inexpensive to the consumer, and now is the time to get educated on it if we want it.

Very interesting links! [message #28702 is a reply to message #28701] Tue, 13 January 2004 10:08 Go to previous message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Very interesting links. Thanks!

Next Topic: Has anyone compared the Panasonic SA-XR45 to expensive amplifiers?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue May 14 13:53:37 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio