Home » Audio » Home Theater » Room size vs. Picture Size
Room size vs. Picture Size [message #28640] Mon, 21 May 2007 09:19 Go to next message
randle is currently offline  randle
Master
What should the ratio be for picture size to room size to get the best overall picture quality?

Re: Room size vs. Picture Size [message #28643 is a reply to message #28640] Tue, 29 May 2007 00:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
shinningstar is currently offline  shinningstar
Viscount
I'm not sure of the specific ratio of that Ricardo but there's only one technique my mother taught me. For the best home theater experience, bigger is not always better.

Re: Room size vs. Picture Size [message #28654 is a reply to message #28643] Mon, 04 June 2007 17:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Master
You probably have a point. I have a friend who has a Huge screen in a tiny little one bedroom apartment. It dominates the room. It's like seeing Star Wars in the very front row.

Re: Room size vs. Picture Size [message #28656 is a reply to message #28654] Mon, 11 June 2007 08:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ricardo is currently offline  Ricardo
Viscount
A friend of mine is currently dealing with this issue. He's sort of hoping that whoever buys the house he has to move from will also make an offer on his large screen TV.

I think I'd exhaust every possible layout before I'd replace the TV, if I was moving to a smaller place and still had it.

Re: Room size vs. Picture Size [message #28658 is a reply to message #28656] Thu, 14 June 2007 15:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Master
I guess it gets to the point where the tv could overshadow the room, which isn't good because you find yourself not comfortable. Plus it becomes over bearing.

Re: Room size vs. Picture Size [message #28679 is a reply to message #28640] Tue, 09 October 2007 23:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
granch is currently offline  granch
Viscount
I'd say go back to your motion picture theater experience. Where do you usually sit in the movie house if there is room to sit wherever you want? Visualize that and then sit in your intended seat at home and project that size on the other side of the room where you will be putting the set. Then measure what size that screen would be. I'll bet that unless you have a very small room, you will want a pretty big sized screen. Especially if you are buying an HDTV - and who would buy anything else today. Remember analog sets are going to be illegal (sort of) in just a few years (2?). At least you will have to buy a converter. If I remember right we sit about 13 ft from the screen of a 60 inch screen HDTV. We wanted a 70 inch but couldn't fit it in the room. We are NOT first row sitters in the movies- usually about 60-70% back.
-Dick

Re: Room size vs. Picture Size [message #28684 is a reply to message #28658] Thu, 18 October 2007 18:49 Go to previous message
willyable is currently offline  willyable
Viscount
I would rather for my tv to be bigger than smaller any day. I think if you position it correctly then you can work it out. I do understand the concpet that you need to have the right size though for your room. But for me bigger is always better.

Previous Topic: What do I look for in a home system?
Next Topic: tvs that hook to your computer
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu May 02 23:55:41 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout