Home » Audio » General » Funny Life
Re: Funny Life [message #2830 is a reply to message #2829] Sat, 11 March 2006 08:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MWG is currently offline  MWG
Grand Master
Yes, I have some old Mac stuff I've had forever. The remote works just dandy. It makes it nice to have a remote volume control that controls every source.

Re: points? [message #2851 is a reply to message #2815] Sat, 18 March 2006 23:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Martinelli is currently offline  Bill Martinelli
Illuminati (1st Degree)
are you still clicking points? I have points in chrysler big blocks, I'm thinking of switching to electronic. why didnt you switch yet or why did you?

Re: points? [message #2855 is a reply to message #2851] Mon, 20 March 2006 08:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Yeah, I'm running a dual point Mallory distributor, mostly for nostalgia. I used to make little ignition system boxes that had a power transistor for people that had points, and I have one of those in the Olds. The transistorized circuit reduces breaker point current from several amps to milliamps, so the points don't pit. In fact, they develop a mirror-like finish and they never move so you don't have to ever fool with the points, it's tune-up free. This ignition works just fine for engines up to about 8,000 RPM.

Re: points? [message #2856 is a reply to message #2855] Mon, 20 March 2006 13:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Martinelli is currently offline  Bill Martinelli
Illuminati (1st Degree)

Do you think there is any advantage in performance in a system like this or just nastalgia? I have two Chrysler big blocks that have points distributors in them and I'm strongly considering replacing them with Mallory electronic units. I was thinking the electronic unit would give slightely better fuel efficiency, reliability and no more tune-ups. 8000 rpm is twice my max and 2800 is usually the limit!

Re: points? [message #2904 is a reply to message #2856] Mon, 27 March 2006 14:32 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

If you're spinning the motor to high RPMs, then an electronic ignition will perform better. You won't experience point float up high with a sensor.

But for use under 3000, there's no difference either way. Not in the triggering mechanism.

Now, advance curves are a completely different story. If you have a computer running the show, it can be tailored to put the spark event exactly where you want it. Of course, that requires having something that knows exactly where you want it. You would have to get that information somewhere, either by tuning it yourself or obtaining information from someone that knows. Optimum spark timing is not really something that is a simple function of RPM and/or vacuum. It bounces around a bit, tracking things like volumetric efficiency, which is affected by port flow, overlap, cylinder fuel ratio, amount of unburned (not-expended) gasses, etc. It's really a pretty complex interaction of things that set the best time to fire the spark. So if you have a computer, appropriate sensors and the information to know when to hit the spark, you can do better than a simple centrifugal or vacuum advance curve could do.

Otherwise, just dial in the best advance curve you can with the mechanical stuff, and use whatever you want to fire it with. Below 3000 RPM, the distributor itself is pretty much a non-issue.

Previous Topic: The 4400 Season One
Next Topic: Thoughts
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed May 15 10:55:35 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout