Home » Audio » General » More funny life
More funny life [message #2831] Sun, 12 March 2006 07:31 Go to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
You know I am reading three sites that have as their thesis the incontrovertible assumption that the only way to define true difference in the sound of audio components is through blind ABX testing. After reading through the documentation they always have a description of the test methodology which always seems perfectly on the up and up. Then we look at the subject sample. The best I found was seven people. Thats right folks, seven. I ask you, does seven subjects result in statistically relevant data or good results? I would accept maybe twenty but even that seems too little really. More like one hundred samples may get us into the ballpark of real results. Lets use 200 as a real starting point.

Also; my cable TV now has a nice black band running across the top of the picture about an inch think. Everyone has a flathead.

Re: More funny life [message #2832 is a reply to message #2831] Sun, 12 March 2006 12:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Leland Crooks is currently offline  Leland Crooks
Master
From my statistics days a real sample consists of at least 1k. All of the various greek alphabet error corrections (can't remember) get thrown completely out of whack with small samples. Once upon a time I really knew this stuff. Not much call for standard deviations in a rental yard.

Re: More funny life [message #2833 is a reply to message #2831] Sun, 12 March 2006 13:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MWG is currently offline  MWG
Grand Master
One question that has always bothered me is why do so many otherwise intelligent people put so much faith in what others think? I've been blessed evidently with a mediocre ear. Since I have been satisfied with my same speakers & electronics for so long. I like what I like and don't need the reaasurance of someone else to justify keeping what I have. I'm not slamming those that have the disposable income to try new equipment. I would too maybe if I had the means to do so. If I did it would again be a one time purchase unless some new format comes out.

Re: More funny life [message #2834 is a reply to message #2833] Mon, 13 March 2006 12:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shane is currently offline  Shane
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Me too. I've had the same speaker/amp/cdp combo for the last 20 years and just recently added a new NAD Bee amp/CDP and the Pi towers for something different. Had to save for two years to do that and they aren't even at the top of the so-called "middle range". Just need to add a tube setup with vinyl and I'll be done.

Re: More funny life [message #2835 is a reply to message #2832] Mon, 13 March 2006 13:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
I once had to deviate the hardened concrete from the inside of the mixer at the rental yard. Boy if you never poured concrete; you are in for a surprise. Better work fast.

I wish some of this illogical thinking on the part of the engineering studies majors could be divested so that we could really have a substantive dialogue surrounding the concept of finding what sounds good. They are rooted in procedure and cannot understand that measuring the temperature of water doesn't tell you how big the ocean is.
Why is it you can have these kinds of dialogues with Math majors and philosophy majors and astronomy majors; but anyone who has been trained to do engineering has a closed and locked mind.
I had an opportunity to speak to Ed Duda; the original design engineer for Lafayette and he still swore to me that all capacitors sound alike and a person would have to be an idiot to spend more than a buck on a capacitor. Look it's right there on the scope; no distortion. They have to sound the same then.

Re: More funny life [message #2836 is a reply to message #2834] Mon, 13 March 2006 17:35 Go to previous message
MWG is currently offline  MWG
Grand Master
I was on top of the heap once long ago..............unfortunately it was a heap of cow manure

Previous Topic: whatz in that trash can...
Next Topic: Vintage Fisher Amp
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri May 17 05:51:28 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout