Home » Audio » Pro Sound » Small basshorn specs
Small basshorn specs [message #28319] Sun, 30 December 2007 08:32 Go to next message
99bottles is currently offline  99bottles
Esquire
Tiptoeing on eggshells here. Most small basshorns have lumpy response or high distortion or both. There are a few that don't though. What sets them apart? What makes the difference?

Re: Small basshorn specs [message #28320 is a reply to message #28319] Sun, 30 December 2007 20:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CJ is currently offline  CJ
Esquire
I'll refrain from mentioning names; This has happened before and the head honchos of some audio forums are very good at sabotage if the talk gets too close to putting a chink in their armor. Seems if you step on certain toes they'll stop at nothing to make you feel stupid, discredit you and defame you. Once their minions get started its like piranha on a feeding frenzy and the good ol boy network stands behind them every time. It is almost impossible to discern the truth from fabrication in the sea of opinions and comments out there.

On the matter of basshorn size, in my admittedly experimental amateur's opinion here's my 1ยข worth. If a horn is too small and the designer tries to push bottom end extension too low, the compromise requires either efficiency will be low or response will be lumpy, or both. Distortion is proportional to excursion so if a horn is compromised, distortion goes up. Response, efficiency and bass extension are proportional to size, so if the horn is small you have to sacrifice at least one of those things. There is no magic bullet.

A small basshorn can be made right if deep extension isn't needed. You just have to design it right for its size and not try to make it try to be something it's not. Don't try to fit 10' of path length in a monkey coffin size box. That's how I see it but WTFDIK.

The power of NO [message #28322 is a reply to message #28320] Mon, 31 December 2007 09:37 Go to previous message
99bottles is currently offline  99bottles
Esquire
Too often, people claim they have a right to not be offended, to be free from images, speech and ideas that confront and affront. It seems everyone wants the right to say what they want, when they want, how they want, while simultaneously maintaining the "right" to make others shut up.

Previous Topic: Peavey Heritage VTX Normal Gain Noise Problem
Next Topic: time for tubes ?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Mar 19 01:53:42 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout