Home » Audio » Pro Sound » slot loading for horns?
slot loading for horns? [message #28205] Wed, 01 November 2006 11:44 Go to next message
moray james is currently offline  moray james
Baron
Have been looking at the Punisher horn design and see that the driver is 100% loaded into the horn throat. I have seen this feature in a few other designs but in most designs that I have seen the driver is slot loaded into the horn throat. Can someone explain when and why slot loading is called for and when/why it is not? Thanks. Moray James.

Re: slot loading for horns? [message #28208 is a reply to message #28205] Wed, 01 November 2006 21:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I think what you're calling slot loading is designs that have throat area smaller than driver diaphragm area. This increases compression ratio. Some designs have throat area equal to diaphragm area, some have throat area smaller than diaphragm area. Check out the Hornresp program and play with a few designs and you'll see what effects various changes like these make to overall performance.

Re: slot loading for horns? [message #28211 is a reply to message #28208] Thu, 02 November 2006 01:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
moray james is currently offline  moray james
Baron
Yes that's exactly what I was referring to, the size of the actual throat opening. I'll have a go at flying the horn response program and have a look see at what happens when the throat area is manipulated up and down. Does driver xmax factor into this? Most older drivers had smaller xmax than some of the newer offerings. If you have double the xmax would you need to generate the same compression ratio for a given horn? Regards Moray James.

Re: slot loading for horns? [message #28213 is a reply to message #28211] Thu, 02 November 2006 14:34 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Xmax is important for LF extension. Even horns require more excursion as frequency goes down.

Previous Topic: Hey Wayne what do you think?
Next Topic: buying my first marshall... need guidance!
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 01:56:48 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio