Home » Audio » Pro Sound » Prosound Shootout
Attn:BillW [message #28176 is a reply to message #28174] Tue, 17 October 2006 05:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Leland Crooks is currently offline  Leland Crooks
Master
BillW wrote I'll have them loaded with EVM15B's since that's all I have, the only difference is the xmax is a lot less, so less overall SPl's

I pulled that quote from bill's forum. It appears they do make a big difference. What width are your t36's? From looking at the charts I'd say you should change the drivers. You're not getting what you should.

I wish I'd been there, got usurped by another more pressing project.

The new bassmax appears pretty sweet. I'll be looking forward to the completed postings.

Re: Prosound Shootout 2006 Measurements [message #28177 is a reply to message #28175] Tue, 17 October 2006 08:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I would have loved to see the distortion and max SPL of the JBL and Soundbridge subs. They did very well in terms of response. You can see the distortion measurements of the Fitzmaurice, Bassmaxx and 12π basshorns in last year's measurements, but we didn't measure maximum SPL or distortion this year. The LMS system wasn't available, so Praxis was used instead.

I wrote the test plan and performed the measurements last year with LMS. The test plan was really written for LMS, and Praxis is a little different both in the way it works and the way you use it. So the test plan may not have been useful for Praxis. David Lee did the measurements, so perhaps he will chime in. I pretty much left the test setup and operation to him, since he had experience with Praxis.

What we do have are frequency response at 10 meters, which is 20dB down from the 1 meter figure. So add 20dB to the scale of the charts for 1m levels. We measured individual speakers and pairs, and in the case of the Tuba 36, we also measured a group of four.

As for the 12π basshorn, the ones we brought this year were a production model that has a slightly different motor chamber. We made it different for manufacturing reasons, and you can tell the difference in the response chart. The production version has a little more ripple than the prototype, but it's still very good at only about 2dB.

SPL [message #28178 is a reply to message #28176] Tue, 17 October 2006 09:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I think Bill's speakers did pretty well. The response charts shown were measured at 10 meters, so add 20dB for the equivalent at 1 meter. Average sensitivity was over 100dB, and when four were used, it was over 110dB. Output was highest between 100Hz and 200Hz, but they had good strong output down to 60Hz or so. I know that's not exactly subwoofer territory, but I think (realtively) small basshorns like the Cerwin Vega L36 and the Tuba 24 and 36 tend to have response like this. We didn't press the speakers hard, so Xmax was never an issue.

Re: Attn:BillW [message #28179 is a reply to message #28176] Tue, 17 October 2006 11:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Wassilak is currently offline  Bill Wassilak
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Leland,
Looks like I'm going to have to change drivers. My cabinets are 36x36x20" wide, which is the narrowest Bill F. recomends and because of transportation reasons. What gets me is how the EV's drop like a rock below 60Hz just like they do in a reflex cabinet. Even though there not true subwoofer drivers.

Bill W.

Re: Attn:BillW [message #28180 is a reply to message #28179] Tue, 17 October 2006 14:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lelandcrooks is currently offline  lelandcrooks
Chancellor
Yea, that's what I was looking at also. It seems to me it's got to be driver related. Even the narrow box shouldn't drop that fast, especially when you started running mulitples and the mouth area expands.

They've got to be unloading at that point, which with the narrow box makes sense, and the ev's don't have the guts to go into dr mode and pickup the difference.

Re: Prosound Shootout 2006 Measurements [message #28181 is a reply to message #28177] Tue, 17 October 2006 16:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
josh is currently offline  josh
Esquire
The Tuba 36 didn't do too well, but these sound bridge guys look like the winner of this party. I've never even heard of them but their cabinet seems to do some great things + the Pi as always is gonna be a good one. So this was all just sensitivity and frequency response?

I would of loved to see you guys burn up the drivers of every speaker finding out what the boxes can ACTUALLY do.

-Josh Billings

Re: SPL [message #28182 is a reply to message #28178] Tue, 17 October 2006 16:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Brady is currently offline  Brady
Esquire
It may have done okay, but not compared to what most of us Tuba owners are used to seeing.

I do not doubt for a minute that my smaller Tuba 30 slim, at 24" wide, and about the same mouth area as those Tuba 36 slims, 20" wide, but loaded with Definimax 4012's would put those Tuba 36's to shame. Now when Bill W gets those reloaded with proper drivers, as I hear he plans to, that should change things quite a bit Bill W, Go get those new drivers, it'll put a big smile on your face

Now don't mis understand my boosting...LOL.. I wouldn't have expected the T36 20" wide to steal the show by any stretch, but I believe they would have had a better showing, particularly in the low frequency range.

If you ever have a shootout in Utah or South Eastern Idaho, let me know...hehe. I'd love to go to one of these things, but being the poor guy I am, my wife would strangle me if I tried to budget out a long trip like that just to check out some subwoofers...LOL.

Wayne, those 12Pi subs of yours look pretty awesome!

Re: Prosound Shootout 2006 Measurements [message #28183 is a reply to message #28174] Tue, 17 October 2006 16:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sean is currently offline  Sean
Esquire
So how does everyone think the JBL SRX728s did compaired to the rest? I wish there was more than one box represented. How do you all think they would have done with 2 to 4 cabinets tested?

Re: Prosound Shootout 2006 Measurements [message #28184 is a reply to message #28181] Tue, 17 October 2006 20:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I agree with you about the Soundbridge, it was nice. But one thing that you should know is that we tested a pair of cabinets as a single system. We treated it as though it were a single quad-18. The JBL was a dual-18, so it might have made sense to run two of them for comparison's sake. That would raise output 6dB, making it have higher output than the Soundbridge system. All the horns have more output when the same number of drivers are used, but that's not really comparing apples to apples either.

Re: Prosound Shootout 2006 Measurements [message #28185 is a reply to message #28183] Tue, 17 October 2006 20:17 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I really like JBL gear, and the SRX728S is a very good system. It is a dual-18, so a pair of JBL sub cabinets would be comparible to the Soundbridge we tested. If we had two SRX728S subs, response would be the same but output would increase 6dB.

Previous Topic: marshall AVT amps
Next Topic: Subwoofer help
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 20 02:52:40 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout