Home » Audio » Pro Sound » Help! – P.A. System Receives Radio Station
Help! – P.A. System Receives Radio Station [message #28143] Sun, 19 February 2006 20:29 Go to next message
Randall Dibble is currently offline  Randall Dibble
Esquire
Help! – P.A. System Receives Radio Station

A funny thing happened at my last Gig.

We daisy chain 4 floor monitors for my live act without problem on Friday.

The next evening we return to our setup, which was left standing.

We turned on the monitor amp and a like magic we receive a very strong signal from the local radio station.

We found that if we disconnected the last monitor in our daisy chain the signal is reduced but still present.

If we reconnected the last monitor the radio station would return broadcasting strongly over our system.

I have some ideas why but would like to here from others.

What maybe the cause and more important how to prevent it in the future.

Thanks
Ran

Re: Help! – P.A. System Receives Radio Station [message #28144 is a reply to message #28143] Mon, 20 February 2006 08:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I hate it when that happens!

It can be caused by several things, but the most common one is noise on the line that makes the inputs act as a radio detector. The strongest station in your area is the one that will be detected and amplified.

The best thing to do is to find it by a process of elimination. Start with a simple system, just an amp and speaker. Then add to it until you find the source of the problem.

Re: Help! – P.A. System Receives Radio Station [message #28154 is a reply to message #28144] Sun, 06 August 2006 12:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Paul C. is currently offline  Paul C.
Master
A band I played in that had an older Peavey PA amp and mixing board would pick up business band radio. This was bad at the local civic center auditorium, next to a major interstection. A transmission would come through and apparently cause a high frequency oscillation (in the RF range?) which would smoke the piezo tweeters in the PA speakers. It was amazing to see smoke coming out of those piezo horns.. hahaha!

Never did get that system to stop that. Going to newer equipment solved the problem eventually.

Re: Help! – P.A. System Receives Radio Station [message #28165 is a reply to message #28154] Mon, 14 August 2006 18:55 Go to previous message
Randall Dibble is currently offline  Randall Dibble
Esquire
We at this venue every band that plays there get the radio.

The last time, a month ago the signal came thru a keyboard. We plugged an standard guitar input cable into the keyboards stereo output plug and drapped the cord over the keyboard rack. The interference dissappeared.

The next day the radio signal came back over the PA system.

I need a step by step appoarch to solve this problem.

Thanks
Ran

Previous Topic: Switchable Impedance and Replacing Speakers
Next Topic: Acoustic Amp
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 17:35:03 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers