Home » Audio » Pro Sound » EVM 12L box
EVM 12L box [message #28010] Mon, 27 December 2004 14:08 Go to next message
Damir is currently offline  Damir
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
I have a Electro Voice EVM 12L, collecting dust in my home studio, and I`d like to build a (vented) guitar box. I understand that those speakers are no longer made, however, the parameters still can be found on the EV sites.
Did anybody can post/reccomend me suitable box plans? I prefer smaller dimensions.
Thanks in advance.

Re: EVM 12L box [message #28011 is a reply to message #28010] Mon, 27 December 2004 14:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Fitzmaurice is currently offline  Bill Fitzmaurice
Grand Master
Don't bother with vented, it's not required for guitar. Stick it in a 1 cu ft closed box and wail away.

Re: EVM 12L box [message #28012 is a reply to message #28010] Mon, 27 December 2004 16:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
I agree with Bill that the EVM-12L is fine for use in relatively small 1.0ft3 sealed cabinets. I just did a design with EV speakers that used them as mids in a sealed cabinet like this. An EVM-12L has f3 of approximately 200Hz in a 1.0ft3 sealed cabinet. If you want a little deeper response from them, you can also tune a 1.0ft3 cabinet to 60Hz by drilling a 2" diameter hole to form a vented cabinet. The resulting response curve has f3 at 100Hz. Increase cabinet size to 1.5ft3 and make the port 3" diameter and you'll get output down to 70Hz or so.

Here's a link to the T/S specs for the EVM-12L. And here is a post with more EV-specific information.

Re: EVM 12L box [message #28040 is a reply to message #28011] Sat, 05 February 2005 21:19 Go to previous message
Magic Mike is currently offline  Magic Mike
Esquire
You might want to find a plan somewhere on the net for an Electrovoice TL806 cabinet. It is a vented 1.3 cubic foot cabinet with approximate dimensions of 13.5" (gross) depth by 17.75" height by 14.5" width.
The vents are constructed in such a way as to allow two different box tunings. One tuning sets the box up for a 3dB down point of 75Hz and a "stepdown" box tuning point of 53Hz for 3dB down. When running in stepdown mode, you add approximately 6dB of boost around 50 - 60Hz and that allows the driver to extend the bottom end slightly without too much driver strain.
Most of the boxes I've seen have used the "stepdown" tuning and have added a piezo tweeter where the cover to convert to stepdown mode usually went. Since the EVM runs up easily to 4KHz, the piezo takes over from there and the cabinet sounds quite acceptable.
The EVM12L is not a particularly bass heavy driver so you can only expect moderate at best bass response, but the sucker will go LOUD once you get above 100Hz. That's what makes it such a widely accepted guitar speaker.
Bill Fitzmaurice has a horn cabinet intended for 12" loudspeakers on his site. I don't know whether you might be interested in that, I bet it would be an interesting and exotic place to put that driver.
Best of luck.

Previous Topic: EAW COMMERCIAL ONLINE RETAILERS
Next Topic: concert series JBLs 8 pin connection
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat May 04 01:05:13 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers