Home » Audio » General » Room treatment
Room treatment [message #2782] Sun, 19 February 2006 21:11 Go to next message
Bill Epstein is currently offline  Bill Epstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
A Fedex guy joined the party briefly Saturday bringing me 6 pieces of Owens-Corning 703 fiberglass insulation in 2'x4'x2" sheets. This is a fairly stiff board with a density of 2.5 lbs./cu. ft.$90
I had previously gone to Jo-Ann Fabrics and bought enough poly batting and burlap to cover 3 panels. $32.
At work today I bought and cut into 2'x4' pieces a 4x8 sheet of 1/4" B-C plywood. $15
I also picked up a half dozen wall hooks and some self-tieing wire.$4

.This is obviously going to be a cut-n-fit proposition. I began by stapling up a pair of 2'x4' panels; one behind and above each speaker.
"What about first reflection points", says you. I want to carry forward the work I did on the front wall with the books and bookcase. There's about 1/3 of the 70" height which is reflective so "self", I said, "start behind the speakers".
Two sets of ears that are attached to some level heads told me recently that 'the treble is a little hot' on my system. All I can say is that perhaps my aging ears are a little 'cool' on top. Regardless, my first impression is much like when I put the speakers on sand bases: the bass is better defined and whatever series of events caused that also caused the mids to be significantly clearer and more. There are greater dynamics, as well!
I will put another 2'x4' panel on the left wall at the first reflection point, right next to the front door. To the right is the opening into the minor leg of the "El"-shaped room. I'll have to build a frame to see if a panel would help there.

I've always believed in the efficacy of sound-conditioning. It's simply that I was apathetic about it. No more

Something like this? [message #2786 is a reply to message #2782] Mon, 20 February 2006 05:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eldragon is currently offline  Eldragon
Viscount

eccept they are using different filling. I need to get of my butt and do something about my room.

Re: Something like this? [message #2798 is a reply to message #2786] Sun, 26 February 2006 03:47 Go to previous message
Bill Epstein is currently offline  Bill Epstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Yes, except I used Owens Corning 703, a 3lb./cu. ft. density fiberglass "board". According to Rives Audio and several other acoustic websites, atsacoustics.com and sensiblesoundsolutions.com, density matters as much as thickness. Almost like crossover caps, thinner damps higher freq's and thicker, lower. Optimum bass traps are 4" thick.

My conclusions: there is significantly more audible difference between having acoustic panels and not then between one component and another. If your room is untreated you are not hearing all the music offers.

Previous Topic: Earl Geddes chapter on Measurements now online
Next Topic: GPAF Update
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu May 09 20:06:33 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout