Home » Audio » Pro Sound » EIA vs. RMS power
EIA vs. RMS power [message #27714] Thu, 05 May 2005 08:11 Go to next message
bigdave is currently offline  bigdave
Esquire
I worked in pro audio quite a few years ago. I recently started shopping for some power amps. I discovered some have EIA power ratings. How is EIA measured, and how does it compare to RMS?

Re: EIA vs. RMS power [message #27715 is a reply to message #27714] Thu, 05 May 2005 11:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

RMS is really just a way to quantify an alternating current, as you know. If you say a device is guaranteed to develop 500Wrms without damage, then you can know how much current output can be safely delivered. But you don't know anything about signal quality; It may be way into clipping at this level. The EIA standard describes the power level when the device reaches 1% total harmonic distortion.

Re: EIA vs. RMS power [message #27716 is a reply to message #27714] Fri, 06 May 2005 08:04 Go to previous message
Bill Wassilak is currently offline  Bill Wassilak
Illuminati (1st Degree)
EIA measures at 1% thd at 1khz usually, where RMS is the usable power measured under the full bandwidth 20-20khz, which is .707 of the peak output of the amplifier. Usually the RMS power is just a little under what the EIA ratings are.

Previous Topic: Presence control for my guitar
Next Topic: Best of luck with the forum
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue May 07 07:59:08 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout