Home » Audio » Pro Sound » broken reverb
broken reverb [message #27631] Mon, 10 November 2008 09:47
DanielR is currently offline  DanielR
Esquire
I've just been handed an amp by a friend saying that the reverb circuit is broken. (adjusting the reverb control adds no reverb)

I've found some details that suggest that the 8EB2C1B should have the following characteristics.

Input coil DC impedance - 800Ohms (I measure about 57Ohms with multimeter).
Output coil DC impedance - 2500Ohms (I measure infinite with multimeter).

The site that I've used to get these details is (http://amps.zugster.net/tools/reverb-decoder)
and another site seems to agree that this is what I should be measuring (http://www.about-guitar-amps.com/reverb_tray.html).

Can you confirm what the DC impedance I should be measuring is?

If I'm measuring infinite resistance at the output does this indicate a problem with the spring unit or with my measuring technique?
(I've measured at the phono jack and directly at the coil removing the plug that attaches the phono jack socket to the coil with the same result).

Is this unit broken? If this unit is broken then there is no problem, -I'll buy a new one and I understand that nothing lasts forever!, but what I'd like to know is now common it is that the unit would fail in this way, and indeed if the unit has failed with a break in the coil would this likely be from defective circuitry elsewhere in the amp causing undue stress on the coil? (what I mean is can I just plug in a new unit, or is it likely that this will break also).

the amp is a Fender Blues Junior.

Previous Topic: combo amp advice
Next Topic: peavey art 1975 transtube technology
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 09:42:26 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers