Home » Audio » Pro Sound » amp to cabinet
amp to cabinet [message #27624] Tue, 30 September 2008 18:55 Go to next message
bobby is currently offline  bobby
Esquire
hey, so if i have say a fender twin amp, and i want to slave a mesa 4x10 through it, what is required of the fender twin? does it split its power to the cabinet and itself, say if its 50watts, 25 each? it needs an external jack right? someone please give me some guidance...

Re: amp to cabinet [message #27625 is a reply to message #27624] Wed, 01 October 2008 12:13 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

You can connect a jack to the speakers on your Fender Twin, and connect to your 4x10 cabinet from that. The load impedance will drop and power will be distributed across the group of speakers according to their respective impedance values.

I suggest that you wire the 4x10 cabinet in series/parallel. This will make the cabinet impedance equal to that of an individual driver. So if there are (4) 8Ω drivers in it, then the total cabinet impedance will also be 8Ω.

The Fender Twin amp has a pair of 8Ω speakers inside, connected in parallel. When you connect a 4x10 cabinet in parallel to the speakers in your Fender Twin, the load impedance of the amplifier will drop from 4Ω to approximately 2.7Ω. That's not too bad, and the amp will be happy with this load.

Previous Topic: Crate Vintage 30 guitaramp
Next Topic: Does anyone use a Marshall Rack 20/20 or 50/50 ?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 18:41:15 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio