Home » Audio » Pro Sound » time for tubes ?
time for tubes ? [message #27539] Sun, 30 December 2007 09:07 Go to next message
darryl is currently offline  darryl
Esquire
I've had my Peavey Ultra Plus for over 10 years. 0 problems. I've noticed lately that the tone seems to flatten [after 2-3 hours]. never noticed this before. maybe its me [going deaf] When do tubes typically go? Am I overdue ?

Re: time for tubes ? [message #27540 is a reply to message #27539] Sun, 30 December 2007 13:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shane is currently offline  Shane
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Tubes can go at anytime. I've got some in an amp that is over 35 years old and a couple are still the originals and test good. I've had others last 5 minutes that were brand new. I would suggest checking the tubes on a tester that checks for transconductance as well as emission and leakage. If the tubes check out fine, then you might be needing to replace some of the capacitors in the circuit. The electrolytics will eventually go bad and need replaced.

This amp uses 4 12AX7 tubes in the preamp and 4 6L6 in the power amp correct?

Another thing you might do: Look in your manual (if you still have it)and see which tubes are for what in the preamp. You might try switching a couple around to see if you can localize a tube going bad. I've done this many times to find a microphonic tube.

And another suggestion: Peavey has a guitar amp forum on their site that you can get many, many answers from guys who would really know this amp, including some of the designers. I've had excellent luck there for my 5150. Here's a link.

Re: time for tubes ? [message #27544 is a reply to message #27540] Mon, 31 December 2007 18:19 Go to previous message
darryl is currently offline  darryl
Esquire
thanks Shane. This gives me a place to start or at least talk a good enough game to keep from being ripped. thanks again

Previous Topic: Small basshorn specs
Next Topic: Crate amp voltage change
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Mar 19 05:53:06 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout