Home » Audio » Pro Sound » opening the mg 50 cabinet??
opening the mg 50 cabinet?? [message #27433] Sat, 19 May 2007 09:25 Go to next message
geosmg50dfx is currently offline  geosmg50dfx
Esquire
HI I HAVE A NEW MARSHALL MG50DFX,,,1/12,,,,THE CABINET IS A CLOSED BACK,,,AND NO PORTS IN FRONT GRILLE. THE SOUND IS VERY BASSY AND RUMBLY SOUNDING???,,,,EVEN WITH THE TREBLE ALL THE WAY UP,,,,IM THINKING OF 1. MAKING PORTS IN THE FRONT,,,2. TAKING OFF THE BACK PANEL AND CUTTING IT TO MAKE A SPACE IN THE BACK ,,,ANY THOUGHTS AND IDEAS???

Re: opening the mg 50 cabinet?? [message #27438 is a reply to message #27433] Tue, 22 May 2007 16:45 Go to previous message
Thermionic is currently offline  Thermionic
Master
If you believe the problem is in the speaker and not in the amplifier itself, here are a few things to try before altering your amp to an open-back configuration:

First, get some viscoelastic speaker cabinet damping materials such as Soundcoat or Deflex. Apply them to the insides of the cabinet and to the entire interior surface of the removeable back if possible. "Green Glue" is a special sound deadening adhesive that's ideal for this. Then, cover all the interior surfaces with convoluted (eggcrate) foam, the type you use for a mattress pad.

Next, damp the speaker basket with thick beads of electrician's putty, which is available at all electrical contractor's supply houses and most of your large hardware stores.

Make sure the cabinet is airtight. Caulk the inside joints and where the wires enter if necessary, and place a thin gasket around the mating surface of the back panel if needed.

Finally, if there's any way to add some 2" x 2" braces in the cabinet (especially to the removeable back panel), don't hesitate to do it.

I learned these simple tricks over 15 years ago from a fellow player. After applying them to my 4-12 Marshall cab, I was blown away by the improvement! The bass is much tighter and drier, with all the tubbiness gone. The dissonant cabinet resonances and speaker frame ringings are eliminated, and the mids and highs are much clearer.

These tweaks are standard practice for hi-fi speakers, but I'd never thought of applying them to a guitar speaker before my frind told me he did it with all his guitar cabs. I'd say the improvement is even more dramatic with a guitar cab than with a hi-fi speaker!

Thermionic

Previous Topic: Sears Silvertone Twin Twelve 1484 cabinet dimensions?
Next Topic: combo amp do i need extra cab
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed May 08 17:30:42 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout