Home » Audio » Pro Sound » Fender 65 twin re-issue; reverb not working
Fender 65 twin re-issue; reverb not working [message #27398] Wed, 04 April 2007 22:03 Go to next message
beemer-rider is currently offline  beemer-rider
Esquire
I just purchased a 65 twin re-issue built around '93. The guy I bought it from said the circuit was altered to 'eliminate spurious noise' when playing near neon lighting and such. I pulled the amp and could see no evidence that anything has been touched at all; all resistors, caps, original wiring etc looked pristine. I pulled the reverb tank and it, too, looks unmolested. Checked the footswitch and both switches (vibrato and reverb) are working. Vibrato works, by the way. Can anyone recommend any other easy checks before I have to enlist the help of an amp tech? I'm afraid that may be a little out of my budget at the moment. Any help would be appreciated.

Re: Fender 65 twin re-issue; reverb not working [message #27399 is a reply to message #27398] Mon, 09 April 2007 15:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

When you shake the amp (lightly) with reverb on, do you hear the familiar reverb spring noise? If not, the wires may have broken inside. That's a pretty common symptom. They usually break at the jack, but sometimes at the transducer itself.

You can test using an ohm meter. Disconnect the tank wires from the amp end, being sure to label the wires first so you can put them back where they belong. Measure the resistance from the center pin to the shell of each plug. One side should read fairly low, around 8Ω or so. The other should read between 100Ω and 1KΩ, but neither matters as much in value except that neither should be open. If either plug reads open circuit, chances are one or more of the tanks internal wires has broken, a transducer has opened, or the external connection is bad (loose connector, bad cable, etc).

Re: Fender 65 twin re-issue; reverb not working [message #27400 is a reply to message #27399] Mon, 09 April 2007 17:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
beemer-rider is currently offline  beemer-rider
Esquire
Thanks for the reply Wayne. I pulled the reverb tank and everything looked fine. Same in the amp section. Couldn't figure it out. Finally came across a post that mentioned reversing the RCA plugs, so plugged white into red and vice versa...and it worked! So much for color-coding...
Thanks again for your time.

Re: Fender 65 twin re-issue; reverb not working [message #27401 is a reply to message #27400] Mon, 09 April 2007 20:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

They hooked it up backwards, ey? Well good sleuthing - Glad you found it!

Re: Fender 65 twin re-issue; reverb not working [message #27443 is a reply to message #27401] Sun, 27 May 2007 08:40 Go to previous message
Ricardo is currently offline  Ricardo
Viscount
This thread reminds me of when I bought my used Telecaster DeLuxe back in the mid seventies. The tone controls didn't seem to work, so I took the pickguard off and noticed that there were no capacitors connected to the tone pots.

I took it to a friend who was much more familiar with electronics, and he said it looked like there had never been any soldering of the tone pots, and put a couple of capacitors on.

I still love Fender stuff, though.

Previous Topic: Orange Amps?
Next Topic: Recording With Small Amps?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed May 08 11:17:48 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers