Home » Audio » Pro Sound » Sleepless nights with a HotRod Deluxe
Sleepless nights with a HotRod Deluxe [message #27389] Mon, 12 February 2007 05:09
Hoodoo Man is currently offline  Hoodoo Man
Esquire
Hi there!

I have a 40W HotRod which I use together with my Les Paul '57 Black Beauty. I just love the versatility of the amp but now I'm looking for more specific sounds. For the clean channel I'm looking for a more vintage sound, something less "blackface" and maybe more "classic tweed". Is there anybody having any experience in changing the pre-amp tube (actually a 12ax7) for a 12AY7? Does the amp start saturating at lower volumes with the 12AY7? Does it make any sense to go for a real NOS tube ('50s o '60s) for that vintage sound?
Regarding the Drive channel I'm a bit disappointed about the high drive positions (even with More Drive switched off): the amp looses clarity and definition, mids are poor and the low end gets too "obscure" and "omnipresent". Moreover the highest gain position is not enough for me to play some distorted guitar sections. Again: will I get any benefit in definition if i change the tubes (both pre-amp and amp) for higher quality ones? To get better mids is it a good idea to plug in a 2x12 Celestion Vintage 30s cabinet? is there any other modification or upgrade to suggest? Apart from pedals, I mean.
Thanks!

Previous Topic: 65 Fender Twin reissue removing 2 power tubes
Next Topic: mesa boogie tubes
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 00:24:50 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers