Home » Audio » Pro Sound » fender vibrolux tubes
fender vibrolux tubes [message #27240] Fri, 03 March 2006 17:08 Go to next message
dirtcellard is currently offline  dirtcellard
Esquire
My vibrolux seems to have gotten a muddier tone over time. I bought the amp used about ten years ago and have never changed the tubes. The amp is generally in great shape. It has a great low volume sound but gets muddy at mid & high volume. I play different guitars through it - tele, strat, les paul deluxe. Its muddiest with humbuckers.

I would like to be able to get a smooth cleaner overdrive out of the amp cranked without use of a pedal. It seems that it used sound like that when I first got it. I presume that new tubes will be helpful with the overall sound of the amp. But should I replace all tubes at once or only some of them. What types (brands and models) or tubes might be worth checking out? I have been told by a local repairman that he believes "hot" tubes may sound good but can create problems with the amp and that I might want to change all of the tubes at the same time. Suggestions? Thanks.

Re: fender vibrolux tubes [message #27245 is a reply to message #27240] Sat, 04 March 2006 06:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Damir is currently offline  Damir
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
I have "Sylverface" Vibrolux, and I tried some modifications and retubing. The sound you described I have, also :-). You must be carefull with retubing - IME, putting all new production tubes inside is a recept for drier, but "dead and boring" sound.
I suppose that you used "Vibrato" channell - then 2nd tube from the right is the "first" preamp tube for this ch, 12AX7. In principle - "Mullard" (or copies) has smooth, warm sound that goes into overdrive without "hard crossing". TFK ECC83 and copies (Ei) has cleaner, brighter sound. For lower gain, cleaner, and more linear sound, you can try (GE) 5751. 12AY7 gives you cleaner, but brighter sound, and even less gain. RCA and GE 12AX7 are the "standard" choices here.
Fourth tube (another preamp stage, and "reverb recovery" stage) is also 12AX7. You can try changing this tube, too. Fifth is the power tubes phase inverter/driver, 12AT7. Then output tubes - if they are good, and old production (GE, RCA...), IMO - leave them there.
I looked for cleaner sound, and my setup is 2nd-5751 GE, 3rd-E82CC Siemens (original 12AT7- reverb driver), 4th - ECC83 TFK, 5th - E180CC Philips (original 12AT7). Output tubes are 5881 Sovtek, not too bad.
In other words, you can little "tune" your sound by carefull "tube rolling", but IME - you can`t change "Vibrolux" in something else... Anyway - just my subjective experience...

Re: fender vibrolux tubes [message #27247 is a reply to message #27245] Tue, 07 March 2006 14:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dirtcellard is currently offline  dirtcellard
Esquire
Thanks for the info. I believe that all of the tubes are original. I think that I will try to get them all tested first and take it from there. I'm looking for smoother cleaner (less mud) overdriven sound at higher volumes if possible. Your suggestions are good.

Re: fender vibrolux tubes [message #27367 is a reply to message #27247] Sat, 02 December 2006 02:41 Go to previous message
Greene is currently offline  Greene
Esquire
For a cleaner tighter sound in the Vibrolux I found using JJ Tesla output tubes will clean the sound up and tighten up the distortion. get them biased to approx 65% plate voltage dissipation and it will humm along nicely. Gr.

Previous Topic: Help
Next Topic: OT- Active pickup question
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 19:53:47 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout