Home » Audio » Pro Sound » Question regarding speaker cables
Question regarding speaker cables [message #27348] Thu, 28 September 2006 06:33 Go to next message
Mithotyn is currently offline  Mithotyn
Esquire
The manual for my 6505 says to use ... well it says exactly "IMPORTANT: Use only high quality, UNshielded speaker cables" but all I can find and have are shielded, or at least say they are. Someone told me that should be fine, but to use 14 gauge, most of these, including the ones I have are 24 guage.

I went to musicians friend and zzsounds and searched around for speaker cables and they all seem to BRAG about how shielded they are, I'm a total n00b to this... are they talking about a different type of shielding? could any of this hurt my amp?

this is what i'm using right now

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ernie-Ball-Speaker-Cable?sku=336700

fine? if not what do I need to buy and where can I find a 14 guage, unshielded speaker cable with 1/4 inputs?

Re: Question regarding speaker cables [message #27349 is a reply to message #27348] Thu, 28 September 2006 06:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Esquire
my bad it's 16 gauge, what i'm using.

Re: Question regarding speaker cables [message #27350 is a reply to message #27349] Thu, 28 September 2006 08:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

If it's speaker cable connecting your amp head to your speakers, unshielded cable is fine. With a 4-16 ohm load impedance, shielding does almost nothing. 16 guage zip cord with 1/4" plugs on each end will do nicely.

Re: Question regarding speaker cables [message #27351 is a reply to message #27350] Thu, 28 September 2006 08:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Esquire
any possibility you could elaborate on that? i'm very nervous, it's my first tube amp and I've been told using the wrong cables can screw up the amp... So a shielded 16 gauge speaker cable like the one I have (in the link) should be just fine? The manual would tell me to use unshielded because? (which I cant even find) and somebody told me I should be using 14 gauge? eRR my head is buzzing... I just don't understand it, but cant risk screwing this thing up.

TIA

Re: Question regarding speaker cables [message #27353 is a reply to message #27351] Thu, 28 September 2006 13:03 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

The 16 guage cable you have will work just fine.

Previous Topic: Carvin V3 vs Hughes and Kettner Switchblade
Next Topic: Speakers for Silvertone Twin Reverb
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 06:54:11 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout