Home » Audio » Pro Sound » Fender Bandmaster Vibrato Problem
Fender Bandmaster Vibrato Problem [message #27198] Fri, 27 January 2006 06:45 Go to next message
mike d is currently offline  mike d
Esquire
Hi,
I'm new on here, so appologies if this has been discussed before...but

I have a 65 Bandmaster that I've had for ages, but have never had the vibrato working.
I've checked the footswitch and that seems fine. When I look down one of the input jacks I can see a Valve (tube) pulseing, the speed of which changes coresponding to turning of the "speed" pot. The sound does not change however, I get a clean signal like the "normal" channel.
It had a complete re-valve about 2 years ago.

Any suggestions very much appreciated.

Mike.

p.s I last switched it off on Tuesday. Is it safe to put my hands in there yet??

Re: Fender Bandmaster Vibrato Problem [message #27199 is a reply to message #27198] Fri, 27 January 2006 12:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thermionic is currently offline  Thermionic
Master
Hi Mike,

The glow you see down the input jack is not a valve, it's the optical device that allows the vibrato to work. Earlier Fenders had all-tube tremolo/vibrato, with a tuned positive feeedback circuit that caused the oscillation. Yours has the later "optoisolator" tremolo/vibrato, which uses a cadmium sulfide photocell and a light source. The fact that you can see the pulsing light through the jack hole is not good. There is supposed to be a sleeve that fits over the photocell and light bulb.

Another cause may be "CBS Syndrome." By the time your amp was made, all sorts of quality control issues were going on, courtesy of the corporate bean counters at CBS. There were MANY amplifiers that left the factory with non-functioning vibrato. Some would cut out intermittently, and it was later discovered that several connections weren't even soldered! If the vibrato has never worked, I'd guess something is wired incorrectly or isn't wired at all.

The things I personally have seen in early post-CBS era Fenders would blow your mind. Thankfully, your '65 is the AA763 circuit, made before CBS started "tweaking" on Leo Fender's original design.

The filter caps in your amp drain pretty quickly, as they have bleeder resistors. Plus, at their age, they generally leak down pretty quick. Do beware the filter cap on the bias supply, as it will stay charged up much longer than the main power rail's caps, although it packs much less of a punch. You should consider having your amplifier recapped and the rectifiers diodes replaced, which will not only improve the sound greatly but increase it's reliability 100%. It's not IF but WHEN one of those old filter caps will blow!

If you don't see something readily obvious when you pull the chassis, you'll probably (sadly) have to be without your baby for awhile, and send the chassis to a competent tech.

Thermionic

Re: Fender Bandmaster Vibrato Problem [message #27205 is a reply to message #27199] Wed, 01 February 2006 12:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shane is currently offline  Shane
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Years ago I finally figured out why my VibroChamp vibrato wouldn't work. It had a 12AY7 instead of a 12AX7 in it. Didn't ever look at a schematic on it and didn't realize it needed the 12AX7 in it. Vibrato went from practically non-existant to HUGE soon as I changed it.

Re: Fender Bandmaster Vibrato Problem [message #27233 is a reply to message #27205] Mon, 20 February 2006 21:33 Go to previous message
Thermionic is currently offline  Thermionic
Master
Yep, 12AY7s don't have enough gain to oscillate in Fender vibrato/tremolo circuits. I forgot about that, it could be an improper tube causing the problem in the Bandmaster.

Thermionic

Previous Topic: Help! – P.A. System Receives Radio Station
Next Topic: Marshall fade out fuzz
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 22:06:49 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers