Home » Audio » Pro Sound » peavy classic 50 problem
peavy classic 50 problem [message #27111] Sun, 24 July 2005 20:00 Go to next message
Javi is currently offline  Javi
Esquire
Ive been having a problem with my classic 50/410 combo for the past week. I was playing n a fuzz started to come out of the amp and became alot stronger. I tried turning it off n letting it take a break but it came back the same. Im not sure if this means its new tube time or not, but i need to figure out whats causing that because it makes the amp unusable. anyone have any ideas?

Re: peavy classic 50 problem [message #27112 is a reply to message #27111] Sun, 24 July 2005 23:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thermionic is currently offline  Thermionic
Master
Sounds like a bad tube. Are any of them glowing red after being on a while? By "a fuzz" do you mean a hiss, a hum, or exactly what? If it's a loud "white noise" type of hiss that sounds like an FM radio between stations, and starts a few seconds after the amp is switched on, it could be a bad rectifier diode in the power supply. They can still work and yet go VERY noisy all at once, so noisy the amp can't be played.

A hum could be a bad power tube or a blown filter cap, although a bad filter cap is unlikely unless your Classic 50 is one of the earliest models and the caps are getting old. Though your Peavey's Illinois Capacitor filter caps are definitely not the last word in high performance, they are very robust and reliable, and besides are well overrated for the voltages in the power supply.

Hope you find that problem quickly!

Thermionic

Re: peavy classic 50 problem [message #27113 is a reply to message #27112] Mon, 25 July 2005 20:09 Go to previous message
Javi is currently offline  Javi
Esquire
the sound im talking about is not so much a hiss or hum but rather a cracking noise whenever i play. The sound varies directly with how loud im playing (more volume, more cracking). I took a look at the tubes and all of them glow orange even after its been on for a while. I'm wondering if it could be a problem with any of the speakers also? i think i can rule out tubes cuz carious people told me that if a tube was bad it would change color.

Previous Topic: linear amps???
Next Topic: Dimebag's chainsaw sound
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu May 09 03:06:35 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout