Home » Audio » Pro Sound » JTM pre-amp valves
JTM pre-amp valves [message #27090] Tue, 05 July 2005 04:20 Go to next message
Matt5104 is currently offline  Matt5104
Esquire
Hi, I have a JTM612 with 2 12AX7s, 1 12AX7EH and 1 marshall ECC83 in the pre-amp. I'm considering replacing them all with mullard ECC83s. Can I literally just replace them and power up the amp, or do I need to re-bias the amp? Also, does anyone know the best order in which to place the original valves in the pre-amp? I've heard that putting the 12AX7EH in V1 (first valve position from right to left) is best, but i'm not really sure! Thanks very much.

Re: JTM pre-amp valves [message #27091 is a reply to message #27090] Thu, 07 July 2005 15:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Damir is currently offline  Damir
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
No need to rebias, but your tone would change a little. Maybe you`ll like it, maybe not. You can try various "order" of your 12AX7/ECC83 tubes to find out the "best" combination...Only one way to find out.

Re: JTM pre-amp valves [message #27097 is a reply to message #27091] Tue, 12 July 2005 09:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thermionic is currently offline  Thermionic
Master
For the first gain stage in any guitar amp, you want the lowest noise, least microphonic 12AX7 you can lay hands on. If there MUST be a compromise in 12AX7 quality somewhere for reasons of economics or availability, make it the phase inverter tube.

The first gain stage's 12AX7 is the most critcial, as it sets the stage (pun intended) for the rest of the amp. If it's noisy or microphonic, all that is after it will amplify it. To end good, ya gotta start good.

Thermionic

Re: JTM pre-amp valves [message #27098 is a reply to message #27097] Tue, 12 July 2005 13:50 Go to previous message
Damir is currently offline  Damir
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
I can say that even slightly microphonic tube have no place in my amps. And yes, we can say that first tube is the most important (noise and tone-wise), but their combination is what matters. It`s hardly subjective, for example - I found "Mullard" ECC83 good sounding, IMO - it doesn`t "break", but "softly and warm" compress - but too much for me. TFK ECC83 is arguably "best of the best", but in my amp (Fender "Deluxe Reverb") doesn`t work in the first position - overall sound was (too) clean and bright. But, in the 2nd position - that`s IT! And I (preffering "cleaner" sound) used 12AY7 or 5751 in the first position.
And yes, I changed reverb driver (12AT7) to 12AU7 and power amp driver (12AT7) to E180CC.
Once, my friend (owner of the profy studio) and I retubed some of his amps the whole day long - every combination (preamps tubes, output tubes, rectifier) we recorded (the same riff) on hard disc-recorder. Then we listened, and compared...huh. And yes - some of my favorite combinations/tubes didn`t work for him, but some other, pretty odd:-)

Previous Topic: Earth Sound Research BT-2000
Next Topic: Which Marshall?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed May 08 23:17:50 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout