Home » Audio » Pro Sound » Using a bass amp for electric guitar.
Using a bass amp for electric guitar. [message #27003] Wed, 09 March 2005 14:22 Go to next message
Jamie is currently offline  Jamie
Esquire
Hi,
I currently play a Marshall JCM800 with a Marshall 4X12 w/ v-30s.

The other day just out of interest i borrowed my friends pedal that allows for two amps to be ran at the same time... I hooked up my marshall amp and my old bass amp (200 watts solid state) with another 4X12 cab and a 1X18 cab. The sound i got from that was surprising... I put a boss overdrive pedal in the signal path so it effected both amps... the marshall was the overdrivven distortion sound im used to, but then the bass amp running at the same time, created a gritty low end sound. I really liked the sound it made, good and dirty for the style of band i play in. What i NEED to know before i do this again, is if its safe. Am i going to damage anything by using a bass amp with an electric guitar? Or is it safe to use a bass amp with an electric guitar?

Thanks to anyone who can answer this question for me.

Re: Using a bass amp for electric guitar. [message #27004 is a reply to message #27003] Thu, 10 March 2005 03:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

It's safe. There's nothing wrong with playing a guitar through a bass amp.

Re: Using a bass amp for electric guitar. [message #27006 is a reply to message #27004] Thu, 10 March 2005 19:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Aaron Merrill is currently offline  Aaron Merrill
Esquire
perfectly safe - it is the other way (bass through a guitar amp) that would be bad.

Re: Using a bass amp for electric guitar. [message #27015 is a reply to message #27006] Thu, 07 April 2005 16:36 Go to previous message
Disco Stu is currently offline  Disco Stu
Esquire
I agree in fact i actually use an old randall bass amp in the studio with a 15" speaker in it. The combination of the 15" with the great sound that the head generates gives a really beefy rhythm sound for all types of music.

Id also suggest if you are going to mic a guitar cab a good method i came across is to use 2 SM57s not betas just the regular type point one directly at the speaker and EQ it with NO bottom end then take another and angle it in from the side so you get this sort of positioning | \ then EQ the angled mic with no top end. Then mix the two together. This way you get a balanced sound which is big enough to be used in mono as a rhythm part rather than having to do endless takes of the rhythm track and then panning them all which ways. This all saves tracks which in home studio cases really helps.

Stu

Previous Topic: guitar amp functioning
Next Topic: Lab Horn
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue May 14 04:06:39 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers