Home » Audio » Pro Sound » Problem with Marshall DSL401
Problem with Marshall DSL401 [message #27000] Sat, 05 March 2005 09:03 Go to next message
Wes is currently offline  Wes
Esquire
Hello everyone, I am a newbee, first post.

I just bought a used Marshall DSL401 40W tube amp.

Great amp, except one problem. When reverb is on ANY setting other than zero, when switching from either Overdrive channel back to Clean there is this huge volume swell that at first sounds like feedback. It lasts a second or two and ends with a reverb spring type ring. Right away I knew it was a problem with reverb. I turned reverb to zero and switched channels several times (it only happens when going from Overdrive to Clean not the other way around). With reverb on zero there is no problem at all. But even with reverb at 1 I get this big noise. The first time it happened I thought I had the volume on Clean maxed out and was getting feedback. But the noise only lasts about 2 seconds and then the Clean channel was fine.

I am not a technical type at all. I can change tubes and bias an amp but not a whole lot more.

Does anyone here have any idea what would cause this and how to fix it? If it is simple I could do it myself (replace a resistor etc...)

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

Wes

Re: Problem with Marshall DSL401 [message #27018 is a reply to message #27000] Sun, 17 April 2005 17:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Vintage is currently offline  Vintage
Esquire
Hi. I also have a Marshall DSL401. I bought it brand new 3 days ago, it also does this...

Re: Problem with Marshall DSL401 [message #27019 is a reply to message #27000] Sun, 17 April 2005 17:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Vintage is currently offline  Vintage
Esquire
Hi, I also have a Marshal DSL401. Mine does exactly the same and I bought it 3 days ago.

Re: Problem with Marshall DSL401 [message #27095 is a reply to message #27000] Sun, 10 July 2005 14:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Edified Amps is currently offline  Edified Amps
Esquire
Wes,
Believe it or not, there is no problem with your DSL 401! To eliminate the reverb problem just increase the "Gain" on the clean channel to about 5 or 6 (just under the level where it starts to distort)and then cut back on the amp's "Master" volume till the amp plays clean. You'll also have to increase the OD/1 & OD/2 "Volume" to compensate for the lower "Master" setting and possibly the treble setting on the clean channel.

Re: Problem with Marshall DSL401 [message #27137 is a reply to message #27095] Fri, 09 September 2005 16:13 Go to previous message
TonemanRV is currently offline  TonemanRV
Esquire
Increasing gain is just what you want to avoid with this particular amp!

I am new to the forum, but I was searching for mod solutions on this amp as I also own one. For someone peculiar on tone as me, this amp has issues, especially if you play live in a small club. This amp could handle small club situations but only on green (clean) channel because this has the only adequate bottom end sound. The orange has a decent overdrive crunch, but bass has almost no adjustment room. The Red channel does horrible things with the 16 ohm thin paper speaker that warrants no attempt at achieving a tone to perform or record with.

These things should not happen to a Marshall amplifier at all or any amplifier that is sold in the price range the DSL401 is in. I did not pay full price for this amp and nor should anyone for that matter, unless you are novice enough to not percieve or listen for these shortcomings, and the name Marshall means too much to you. There really is no use in overdriving those tall skinny tubes unless you could drive more speakers which it can't.

The lack bottom end on lead channels sounds like a fender problem, and it probably is. Perhaps the best solution is a 'blackfacing' of this Marshall or a mod that full developes the green channels tonal qualities, then using your favorite pedal for crunch and distortion.
However, this amp is just dyin' for that 6L6 boost in the orange/red positions. If anyone has help on this let me know.

RV

Previous Topic: Rare Fender Solid State Twin Reverb (1966-71)
Next Topic: On my way to a Nobel Prize
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 16:41:37 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout