Home » Audio » General » A story of generosity and good will
A story of generosity and good will [message #2692] Sun, 29 January 2006 09:28 Go to next message
hurdy_gurdyman is currently offline  hurdy_gurdyman
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I’m a bit at a loss for words here and still in a mild state of shock. I want to relate my latest experiences and renew my faith in my fellow man. The world hasn’t tuned all bad yet. There are some people who deserve nothing but the best life has to offer, and who I’m sure will receive great rewards someday for their acts of kindness and generosity.

First off, a couple of weeks ago, I received an “offer I couldn’t refuse” from Darrel Hawthorne and ended up with a pair of Silver Iris drivers, which are unquestionable the best speakers I’ve had in my home, ever. Then Friday I received an email from Darrel that asked if I’d be home Saturday. He said he had something for me but wouldn’t elaborate. Of course I’d be home! What little I could get out of him was that the surprise was not from him, but from an anonymous third party. Darrel was only the messenger. I was on pins and needles from there on until he arrived. I had no clue as to what was happening.

About 1:30 PM Darrel and his lovely wife Diana arrived. After we chatted for a while, Darrel brought the boxes in. One was obviously heavy. Darrel explained that these came form someone who I don’t know, who is a lurker on the forums but does not actively participate. Evidently, he seems to have received some enjoyment from my posting over the last five years. I’m glad someone did. Anyway, onto the boxes. Out of the first box came a brand new, on-opened Jolida JD 100A CD player complete with remote control and a pair of Yisheng OFC cable YSDZ . Out of the second box came a Lab-60 amplifier. I understand it has had the upgrades. A pair of Monster cable mk II and a pair of speaker cables that I don’t remember right off what they are, but I’ll find out from Darrel. They have a large braided cover over what appears to be a series of smaller wires. Heavy gold plated banana plugs on the ends.

This whole thing is a complete shock that I’m still not over the next day. I literally have a completely different stereo than I had a couple of weeks ago. Only my LP components are seriously compromised. I’ll get into talking about what I’m hearing later as I get used to it. I’m still working on hooking my subs up (need to get some good banana plugs to insert between the amp and speaker cables. Otherwise, I’m listening. A lot!

I wish to thank the anonymous person who sent these to me. I certainly have done nothing to deserve this, but I am eternally grateful. It’s like a lifelong dream come true.

There are a few others on this and a couple of other forums who have done nice for me things through the years, also. They include, in no particular order:

Randy (Decware Forum)
Ed Shilling
Eddie Vaughn
RTE
Terry
Wayne Parham
Dave (planet10)
Chrisby
Darrel Hawthorne

I’m sure there are others I just am not thinking of at the moment, but these guys have all spent a bit of extra time and effort helping me out with one project or another. They are truly good people. I wish I could do as much in return.

I wish everybody here could have had as good of fortune as I’ve had this last couple of weeks. The four forums I’m posting on all are full of great people who deserve the best.

I’ll try to be worthy of what I’ve been given.

Dave

Tad-60

http://www.angelfire.com/biz/bizzyb/cayinusa.html

Jolida JD 100A

http://www.tnt-audio.com/sorgenti/jolida-jd100_e.html

Re: A story of generosity and good will [message #2693 is a reply to message #2692] Sun, 29 January 2006 10:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Keep bringing your music to the rest of us. Focus on the music and the rest falls into place.
Congrats.

Re: A story of generosity and good will [message #2694 is a reply to message #2692] Sun, 29 January 2006 11:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MWG is currently offline  MWG
Grand Master
I like to think there is a lot of inherent goodness in people. I'm sure you deserve these things and more. There are a lot of quality people hanging out here. Enjoy the music for many years to come Dave.

Re: A story of generosity and good will [message #2695 is a reply to message #2692] Sun, 29 January 2006 14:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

That's the kind of thing I like to see. Good brings good, like attracts like.

Re: A story of generosity and good will [message #2699 is a reply to message #2692] Wed, 01 February 2006 07:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
akhilesh is currently offline  akhilesh
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Nice story, David.
Good to know this happens even in this crazy ole world!
-akhilesh

Re: A story of generosity and good will [message #2703 is a reply to message #2692] Wed, 01 February 2006 18:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hurdy_gurdyman is currently offline  hurdy_gurdyman
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Here's some pics of the new system.

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/the_hurdy_gurdyman/album?.dir=c24c&.src=ph&store=&prodid=&.done=http%3a//pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/the_hurdy_gurdyman/my_photos

Dave:)

Re: A story of generosity and good will [message #2706 is a reply to message #2692] Thu, 02 February 2006 05:05 Go to previous message
Norris Wilson is currently offline  Norris Wilson
Grand Master
Congratulations Dave,

Most people are generally good at heart.

The old saying goes, you have to give to receive.
And from the many post that you have given freely of your experiences and knowledge to the many forums, you are deserving.

Thanks for all of your continued efforts to share of your experiences in audio, or otherwise. Contributions such as yours, is what makes all of the forums so valuable to the ones seeking knowledge and understanding.

Thanks again and keep us informed of how the new system works out for you.

Norris Wilson

Previous Topic: "Show and Tell" Room at GPAF
Next Topic: Tweeking the Silver Iris
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat May 04 20:42:20 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers