Home » Audio » General » First known digital music recording surfaces
First known digital music recording surfaces [message #26878] Tue, 24 June 2008 07:43 Go to next message
colinhester is currently offline  colinhester
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
See link.......

Re: First known digital music recording surfaces [message #26879 is a reply to message #26878] Tue, 24 June 2008 14:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

That's a cool link, Colin. Thanks!

When I was in high school in the late 1970's, I did a digital recording/playback science fair project. It was displayed at a local mall, in Woodland Hills. I had a homebrew 6502 computer and I used an early 8 bit ADC and a simple resistor ladder DAC. I sampled at a pretty low rate, around 5kHz as I recall, so I could only record voice and only for a few seconds. But it was still pretty cool and my table got a lot of traffic.

Later, after starting work for Data General, I remeber thinking I could record a whole album in high resolution on a DG Zebra 50Mb disk drive. Not very portable though, they were the size of washing machines.

Re: First known digital music recording surfaces [message #26880 is a reply to message #26879] Thu, 26 June 2008 00:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
colinhester is currently offline  colinhester
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Great story. Sound like that was a fun project, and well ahead of its time. It's pretty scary how far technology has come in recent years......C

Re: First known digital music recording surfaces [message #61906 is a reply to message #26879] Thu, 18 February 2010 18:32 Go to previous message
Mavare
Baron
Wow! That is so cool. I'm new at all of this but that is still impressive. Technology is progressing as such a fast pace now though that the first anything is hard to capture now.
Previous Topic: Horn or bandpass?
Next Topic: I got Myine
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat May 11 17:39:45 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout