Home » Audio » General » Eico ST 40
Eico ST 40 [message #26476] Sat, 08 April 2006 17:50 Go to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Well; replaced all the caps with orange drop 716's and all the lytics with Sprague atoms. Did the loudness switch mod and a new power cord. Saved the Mullards and bought new tubes. replaced the bias resistors.
I have been searching for a integrated amp I could listen to eithor SS or tube but this amp sounds leagues better than anything else like it.
I am a little surprised actually at the detail and tautness of the bass freq. I didn't expect that. Of course the mids are wonderfully full and tunefull. But what really is a kicker is the sweetness and extension of the highs. Cymbals shimmer.
Couple more mods to do; by-pass all unnecessary swithching; re-do the phono RIAA eq. BTW this amp has two phono inputs with two seperate cart loadings. 47k and 100k. And replace all of the critical resistors.
You cannot get this level of performance for so little money anywhere. Take a look at the transformers on this bear; the power trans is huge.

Re: Eico ST 40 [message #26477 is a reply to message #26476] Sun, 09 April 2006 14:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

One of these days I'm definitely going to have to get an Eico amp.

Re: Eico ST 40 [message #26478 is a reply to message #26477] Sun, 09 April 2006 16:31 Go to previous message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Heyboer is re-manufacturing the old HF 81 and 89 series OPT's. I listened to a Scott LK 42 last week. The OPTs on that amp weighed 12 pounds. I have never seen anything like it. Looked like they were on steriods.
Like the Harley 74" Knucklehead of amplifiers.
Got me thinking; that amp sells for about 1k$. It uses PP KT 88's for 65 watts a side. Not bad of a deal considering what is out there. Those trans alone probably would set you back 600$.
But the Eico has a good clean sound unlike a lot of the vintage tube amps. Where else can you get a very good sounding integrated amp with a really fine phono stage and tape monitor function for under 200$? Certainly kills the cheap tube kit amps. For those who are only familiar with Dyna SCA 35's or Fisher X 202's etc. , the Eico is a much more proffesional sounding piece.

Previous Topic: Welcome to Dagogo
Next Topic: Happy Easter
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu May 09 06:44:04 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout