Home » Audio » General » Old Philips Reciever needing repair
Old Philips Reciever needing repair [message #26468] Mon, 13 March 2006 19:04 Go to next message
Ryan is currently offline  Ryan
Esquire
Folks
I use a Philips 7831 receiver that I bought in 1980. While I've tried, nothing beats it's sound. However, the left channel is staticy and fades in and out.

Would anyone know what would cause this or how I might have it repaired?

A few years back I brought it to a repair shop and was cheated. Upon investigation it appears the unit was never even opened.

Any advice is welcome!

Charlie

Re: Old Philips Reciever needing repair [message #26470 is a reply to message #26468] Tue, 14 March 2006 08:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MWG is currently offline  MWG
Grand Master
What I would try first is a can of Caigs DeOxit. Spray the switches and work them vigoriously after spraying them. The switches and pots collect dust & dirt and cleaning them can't hurt a thing. Don't know if this will solve your problem but it's a place to start.

Re: Old Philips Reciever needing repair [message #26471 is a reply to message #26470] Tue, 14 March 2006 12:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Nice catch, good idea.

Re: Old Philips Reciever needing repair [message #26473 is a reply to message #26470] Thu, 16 March 2006 05:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ryan is currently offline  Ryan
Esquire
MWG
Thankyou for your advice. What are the pots that you mention?
Charlie

Re: Old Philips Reciever needing repair [message #26474 is a reply to message #26473] Thu, 16 March 2006 11:41 Go to previous message
MWG is currently offline  MWG
Grand Master
The volume control, balance and some tone controls usally are potentiometers. These are usually closed and held together by metal tabs. You can usually stick the plastic spray tube in or near openings and spray generously and work the control back and forth vigorously. Wipe up any DeOxit that's laying on the chassis or other components and I allow it a few minutes to dry before turning it back on. You might have to repeat this step a time or two. Also while you're there clean off any dust and dirt as best you can. I'm not a tech so there are better ways of doing it possibly and I'm sure better ways to explain how to do it Hope this helps.

Previous Topic: Lone Star Bottleheads - McKinney, March 18th
Next Topic: need to ask a favor Fred
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun May 05 01:40:30 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout