Home » Audio » General » Vintage Fisher Amp
Vintage Fisher Amp [message #26461] Thu, 02 March 2006 18:54 Go to next message
Peter Swartz is currently offline  Peter Swartz
Baron
I have all my Dads old gear, Thorens td-124, Fisher CX2-400, SA-300b,T-1000. I'm cuurently only using the turntable and the amp. I'm interested to learn more about the design of my Fisher Sa-300b amp. Does anyone know where I can find more info on this amp? Thanks, Pete

Re: Vintage Fisher Amp [message #26462 is a reply to message #26461] Fri, 03 March 2006 06:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Thats the amp with the dual rectifier tubes and uses EL 34's is that correct? It's a huge amp. I had a freind who owned one and he did a couple simple upgrades. Man that really is one of the sweetest amps on the planet. I envy you. And the 400 pre-amp ; well, you don't ever have to buy audio gear again IMO.
So what Kind of information would you be interested in? The TD 124 needs a new base and armboard and the amp and pre-amp need simple upgrades and restoration such as electrolytic cap replacement and coupling/filter caps re-done. After that you are in audio heaven. Have you checked the internet for some of the sites that support those units?

Re: Vintage Fisher Amp [message #26466 is a reply to message #26462] Sat, 11 March 2006 22:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Peter Swartz is currently offline  Peter Swartz
Baron
Thanks for the reply. I would be interested to learn about your friends upgrades on his Fisher SA-300b amp. I'm currently looking for a good kit to replace all the insides, any ideas?
Thanks, Pete

Re: Vintage Fisher Amp [message #26469 is a reply to message #26466] Tue, 14 March 2006 06:42 Go to previous message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
I have an idea but you may not like it. Inside there are only a few things that cause problems. Barring something like a transformer failure the only things you need to replace are all the electrolytic caps, critical resistors,ie grid or bias and possibly the coupling caps.
The thing is these am,ps were so well designed and used such good quality parts that you will not really get a better sound with newer type passive parts. Even carefully matched carbon-comp resistors will sound better than the newer metal-film.
What I see most guys doing now is leaving the equipment alone; replacing the caps I mentioned and re-tubing the amp as well as repairing any minor problems should get you some of the most musical sound money can buy. The design is great on that unit and it pumps more power than you will ever need. Clean it up and have a good tech go through the amp with a scope to make sure there are no problems and then sit back and enjoy.
Lot of times people replace everything with new expensive parts and end up selling the unit because it sounds worse.

Previous Topic: More funny life
Next Topic: Seminars at GPAF
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue May 07 06:43:44 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout