Home » Audio » General » Advent 300
Advent 300 [message #26409] Tue, 13 December 2005 04:32 Go to next message
Bill Epstein is currently offline  Bill Epstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
I've always been an audio agnostic. This receiver could push me over the edge to become an atheist.
They go for $75 -$100 on E-Bay (this one's on loan from the Speakerman Museum). I was using just the pre-amp section and the phono sounded darned good if a little muffled in the lower mids and upper trouble. Pulls in stations better than my Sansui TU-4400 tuner.
Last 2 nights I jumpered the mains back in and had a listen. It's 15 watts reveal a soundstage close to the Audio Note except a little more forward with excellent dynamics.Funny thing, tho' for transistors, the bass is kinda boomy.
Compared to my Fisher 222, Scott LK-48 integrated and Marantz 2215B, this little unit is far more enjoyable to listen to.
If this wasn't a hobby; if all I wanted was to listen to music and not obsess about nuances the Advent 300 would be all I'd need.
Curse you, Tomlinson Holman!

Re: Advent 300 [message #26411 is a reply to message #26409] Tue, 13 December 2005 09:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Sounds like a great deal. I think I'll watch for one too.

Recap the unit to get rid of tubby bass! [message #26412 is a reply to message #26409] Tue, 13 December 2005 14:50 Go to previous message
spkrman57
Illuminati (1st Degree)
And also would improve the overall sound of this unit. Basically a sleeper unit and would be hard pressed for high-end audio duty, but a great unit for just listening to music instead of the system.

I picked them up and had them fixed up which cost me more than what the e-bay units are costing, but I like the tuner section and will try the phono section down the road after I get the amp/preamp/speaker battle completed in my house.

Ron

Previous Topic: Plan for dec 16, 2 pm meeting of GPAC
Next Topic: How much more silly can things get on eBay?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu May 16 05:33:27 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio