Home » Audio » General » Luxman troubles
Luxman troubles [message #26342] Sat, 09 July 2005 11:49 Go to next message
Charles is currently offline  Charles
Esquire
I hope someone can help with this. I have an older (80's) Luxman integrated amp L-215 which worked just fine until about six weeks ago when I hooked up a pair of Canton 1000 speakers. For a few weeks the sound was amazing and the bass cone could muss your hair at ten paces. However, over the last couple of weeks it's as if the life has been sucked out of the amp. There are still some highs and lows but it's lifeless with no imaging or depth. I'm not a real tekkie so bear with my layman's struggle to describe the situation.

As I understand now after having done a little research these Cantons are power pigs. Does anyone have any guesses what might have happened to my amp? I realize this is a nutty question without someone actually listening to it but I guess my real question is should I even bother trying to get it fixed or just go find a replacement. I'd appreciate any suggestions on a replacement keeping in mind that I'm very thrifty and would prefer to buy a decent used amp.

thanks,

Charles

Re: Luxman troubles [message #26343 is a reply to message #26342] Sat, 09 July 2005 17:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I'm thinking it could be one of three things:

1. Your amp's performance has degraded
2. Your speaker's performance has degraded
3. Your perception has changed

Have you connected a different set of speakers to the amp? If so, did the trouble follow the amp or the speakers? Or did it seem to stay the same?

Re: Luxman troubles [message #26344 is a reply to message #26343] Sat, 09 July 2005 19:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Charles is currently offline  Charles
Esquire
Thanks for the input Wayne. I forgot to mention that I did try connecting another set of good speakers and the same problem was there. I also substituted the cd player to eliminate that and so the amp remains the guilty party.

Charles

Re: Luxman troubles [message #26345 is a reply to message #26344] Sun, 10 July 2005 06:32 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Bummer, I guess you better get it into the shop for repair.

Previous Topic: help on selecting replacement tubes for preamp
Next Topic: Optonica Amplifier
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat May 11 06:13:07 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout