Home » Audio » General » What do vintage amps sound like?
What do vintage amps sound like? [message #26333] Thu, 07 July 2005 12:39 Go to next message
GarMan is currently offline  GarMan
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Recently, I've become very interested in the amps put out by Sansui in the 70's, mostly because I think there's some of the prettiest amps made. I've read that Japan put out some of the best sounding solid state amps in the late 70's, during a time when product wars were based on performance, not price.

I've never had a chance to spend a lot of time with any of these vintage amps and would like some comments on how they sound compared to today's offerings. Also interested in comparisons to today's tube amps.

thanks,
gar.

Re: What do vintage amps sound like? [message #26334 is a reply to message #26333] Thu, 07 July 2005 14:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
G-Man. I have a Fisher 500T, the first SS amp they made I believe. It uses germanium transistors and looks almost exactly like the 500c.
If that interests you I can post my opinion of the sound.
Also my friend has a Sansui 3000 at home.

Re: What do vintage amps sound like? [message #26335 is a reply to message #26334] Thu, 07 July 2005 15:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Wow, an amp with germanium transistors! That must be even more rare than vintage tube gear.

Re: What do vintage amps sound like? [message #26336 is a reply to message #26335] Thu, 07 July 2005 16:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
They look like G's; or did I mis-spell that?
It's not Geranium; thats a plant.

Re: What do vintage amps sound like? [message #26337 is a reply to message #26336] Thu, 07 July 2005 17:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
You are correct; the Fisher while made in 1962 thankfully does not in fact employ Germanium Transistors.
Must check facts; must check fa...
I really guessed at that due to the age of the unit. Thanks for the heads- up.

Don't hold back... [message #26338 is a reply to message #26334] Thu, 07 July 2005 18:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
how does it sound?
Also interested on your impression of the Sansui?

Re: Don't hold back... [message #26339 is a reply to message #26338] Thu, 07 July 2005 20:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Sure; when have you seen me hold back? The Fisher; believe it or not sounds a lot like their tube stuff. The mids are smooth and melodic, the bass is a little flabby but warm and natural sounding and the highs are very full and open but a little rounded. Not real detailed but nice and musical.
They really sound very little like modern SS equipment. I guess they are tuned to have tube characteristics and if that is possible then they have succeeded. Non-fatiqueing but also not strong on resolution. There is noticeable vieling through the entire frequency range; but it is not irritating. I prefer it to my Carver TFM 35 amp, thats for sure.
The Sansui is a real nice piece. It sounds big/looks big. If I can make myself understood; you know how those older Pioneer SX 1250 recievers had that sense of effortless power? The Sansui has that in spades. Little ragged way up top but the bass/mids are pretty smooth and very ballsy. Other than that slight high freq thing it is Pretty even response, I don't hear any ragged response problems in the mid/bass and also pretty detailed, not as vieled as the Fisher, but not quite as smooth either. What it gives up in smooth it makes up in definition.
I really don't know why some of the older SS from the early seventies sounds more alive than more recent stuff but the Sansui does have a lively presentation. On some orchestral pieces; full orchestra; it drives those Alons to the point where it sounds like the drivers are floating with the music; like they are weightless and have incredibly quick reaction to transients. It is very gratifying on massed and complicated portions of the music. My friend uses Alon speakers and the amp can rock and roll with them. It is visually staggering, big lights/big face.
If I enjoyed that thunder and majesty of large orchestras and big band jazz as well as Led Zepplin played with a lot of drive and foundation I'd like the sound.
Also the tuner section is pretty competent, we were able to capture some distant stations with very good results.
Something about those 1970's big guns that is enjoyable; I tell you this, they make a nice combination with Wayne's Theater 4's. Everyone I bring by enjoys that system; fingers popping and smiles.
When I hear people praising the songs on the Turntable I know the system is right and I get that all the time with those. They think it is the music but hey; we know better.
Hope this helps.
Let me know if you get the chance to audition; or maybe you already own one of those behemoths. I'd like your perspective.

Re: Don't hold back... [message #26340 is a reply to message #26339] Fri, 08 July 2005 07:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
I don't own any yet, but those Sansui AU717 integrateds and TU717 tuners that keep popping up on ebay sure are tempting. Designed and built in the mid 70's, I believe it was a very good time for Japanese SS components. Did I mention I think they're gorgous?

Re: Don't hold back... [message #26341 is a reply to message #26340] Fri, 08 July 2005 12:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Well; now this is a quandry. The earliest SS gear had an easier presentation is my experience. Once you get past the early-seventies the SS designers went spec crazy and as a result they tend to sound harsh and gritty to my ears. I can't say for sure about the AU series but I personally avoid all that era when it comes to SS.
Then around the late 80's/early 90's it seems people were becoming dis-satisfied with that sound and sales slipped so they turned completely around and all the SS stuff from that era sounds dull and lifeless. Go figure...

Re: Don't hold back... [message #26350 is a reply to message #26341] Fri, 15 July 2005 17:31 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
tomt is currently offline  tomt
Baron
just got a fisher 500t last week/dumpster bound-......hope it works ok

Previous Topic: Speakerman the Philosopher
Next Topic: Monitor Audio speakers
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue May 07 13:29:36 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio