Home » Audio » General » Newbie Questions
Newbie Questions [message #26267] Wed, 30 March 2005 18:09 Go to next message
Johnny is currently offline  Johnny
Esquire
Can anyone give me advice on buying an older model stereo reciever? I hate the sound of new stereos and have been researching older ones and looking on ebay to find one but I have no electronic skills to speak of. Also, being a young professional musician I am on a very tight budget. I just want something thats not to high maintainence but would bring out good sound on my vintage record player and newer cd player. After reading alot of these forums and realizing that you guys all really know your shit,I'm a little nervous that I guy like me who can't do my own repairs might be asking for trouble. Any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks! Johnny

Re: Newbie Questions [message #26268 is a reply to message #26267] Wed, 30 March 2005 19:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

If you're looking for tubes, of course McIntosh is popular but they may be a litle more than you want to spend. You might look at getting a Dynaco amp and tuner instead. There is a lot of old vintage gear like that, but it's getting old enough that you usually have to go through it and rebuild it, or it costs a lot because someone has already done that.

If you're looking for a solid state receiver, I'm particularly fond of the early 1980's Yamaha receivers. I thought they were excellent; Maybe they were trying extra hard to break into the market. Hifi quality at midfi prices, and now that they're 25 years old, they're a steal. You can find a nice 80 or 120 watt receiver from 1980 for a hundred bucks. For that kind of money, you can afford to go through them and replace the aging caps with Black Gates and still not spend a lot.

Re: Newbie Questions [message #26269 is a reply to message #26267] Wed, 30 March 2005 19:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
You need to ask some questions of yourself;
1 How much power do you need; what speakers are you using?
2 Can you do any electronic assembly?
3 Have you heard anything you particullarly enjoyed; especially if what you heard was with your own equipment.
4 What kind of budget are you on; is this keep it inexpensive; or a, I will spend for the best.
5 How long do you want to keep it?
6 This equipment you already have; what is it?
7 What kind of music are we talking here?
If you can answer these questions we can help you.

Re: Newbie Questions [message #26271 is a reply to message #26267] Thu, 31 March 2005 19:56 Go to previous message
colinhester is currently offline  colinhester
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Check with local Goowill / Salvation Army. There is good gear to be found if you're patient. Check often. Usually they'll hook it up for you, just to be sure it's not dead.....Colin

Previous Topic: New (Old) Capacitor From RelCap
Next Topic: Mr Two Channel
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon May 13 18:19:16 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout