Home » Audio » General » More OT computer stuff
More OT computer stuff [message #2609] Wed, 04 January 2006 17:33 Go to next message
Bill Epstein is currently offline  Bill Epstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Can't excorcise the pop-up demon. Can I pay just 29.95 for this Works Suite and get the real authorised deal? My local computer shop will install fresh XP for $79.

Re: More OT computer stuff [message #2612 is a reply to message #2609] Wed, 04 January 2006 22:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lon is currently offline  lon
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
I would take an inventory of your programs and decide
if they can be reinstalled from source or backups and
then reinstall your operating system on a clean disk.

Disk utilities provide a 'write zeros to the drive' which
scrubs all data off the disk.

Would the store-bought reinstall guarantee to fix your problem
and save your data and provide you with new software (XP) ?

One caution with dealing with shops: only get work done by the
job, not by the hour. Installing a windows operating system
takes about an hour. $80/hr is good wages for someone or money
saved by doing it yourself.

That's my tips as a former employeee of a computer store.

Re: More OT computer stuff [message #2613 is a reply to message #2609] Thu, 05 January 2006 08:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Have you identified what adware program is doing it?

Re: More OT computer stuff [message #2614 is a reply to message #2609] Thu, 05 January 2006 18:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cheetah is currently offline  cheetah
Viscount
Hey Bill,

Met you @ Sprman's house. Any way, I drive by Manfield all the time. I do alot of work in the Cleveland area. I would be happy to help with a windows reinstall. Save the $80.

Joe

Re: Clarification [message #2615 is a reply to message #2614] Thu, 05 January 2006 21:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Epstein is currently offline  Bill Epstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
1. Local guys wipe the hard drive and provide OEM ver. XP for $79; the install is free.
2. They want $179 for Works Suite which is why I asked about the $25 version on E-Bay as to legitimacy
3. I tried "Housecall" at the Antivirus.com site and no virus found. SAme with EZArmor and AVG
4. Ad Aware keeps finding tracking cookies and data miners which it deems 'no threat'.
5. Spy Bot finds nothing
6. Performance is down and pop-ups are frequent.
7. What files can I back-up to disk without re-installing whatever is letting in the pop-ups?

Re: Clarification [message #2616 is a reply to message #2615] Thu, 05 January 2006 22:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
colinhester is currently offline  colinhester
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Bill, Have you tried Google's toolbar. There is a pop-up blocker with this.....Colin

Before you wipe...Re: Clarification [message #2622 is a reply to message #2615] Fri, 06 January 2006 21:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lon is currently offline  lon
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
I don't know exactly how all these pop ups work but there
may be something in your start file that needs to be removed.

I've used a program called StartUp Cop with some success in getting
out strange startup progs. Startup Cop allows you to put progs
'on hold' before final removal to make sure everything else still
works. The link shows a newer version. My version is freeware.

Avoid 'registry cleaners' for this reason: the cleaners may clean
stuff they don't recognize that you need.

Try "msconfig" [message #2624 is a reply to message #2622] Sat, 07 January 2006 06:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bob Brines is currently offline  Bob Brines
Master
The systems program "msconfig" should do the same thing, and it is already installed on your machine. Go to the "Start Up" tab and look at the programs loaded when your machine boots. Uncheck anything that you think might be a problem. DO NOT uncheck anything with a path that includes "system" or "system32", and you might need some other stuff depending on how your computer is configured. If something stops working that you need, go back to "msconfig" and check it.

Bob

Re: Before you wipe...Re: Clarification [message #2625 is a reply to message #2622] Sat, 07 January 2006 08:26 Go to previous message
cheetah is currently offline  cheetah
Viscount
Bill,

Startup Cop would be a good thing to try.

Also in Adware, delete anything it finds. Even if the threat level is low.

Next, I have used a registry cleaner called Registry First Aid for several years, and have never had it break one of my machines. Even the ones the kids use, and get all "gunked up" cleans up nicely. Registry firstaid is share ware. But the free v ersion will only delete a small portion of what it finds at a time. If you register and pay for it, it will delete every thing in one pass.

The $79.00 version of Win XP is an OEM version. They are required to sell you a piece of hardware (i.e. a cable) to legally sell you Windows at this price. No difference with the full price version. I've used this many times my self.

Lastly, AS for an office suite, down load Open Office 2.0. This version is fairly new. It does almost every thing that MS Ofice can do. It is very clean looking. And is FREE. I've been using it, and haven't found any serious bugs.

Why use the over priced stuff when there are now real alternatives that work.

Joe

Previous Topic: Lone Star Bottleheads - Houston, Jan 14th
Next Topic: Coral vintage speakers
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Apr 24 20:02:09 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers