Home » Audio » General » Lafayette SK 215 wx 15 inch speakers HELP HELP!!!
Lafayette SK 215 wx 15 inch speakers HELP HELP!!! [message #26220] Sat, 04 December 2004 02:53 Go to next message
gonzo944s2 is currently offline  gonzo944s2
Esquire
I bought two Altec horn loaded corner horns that i though contained Altec woofers. I couldn't see the woofers until i opened up the enclosure to find two beautiful 15 inch Lafayette SK 215 wx woofers inside. I cannot find ANY info on these speakers! Someone must know something. I can email pictures if that would help. The lable on the back says SK 215 WX 50 watts, three way speaker, Made in England. It has a Tannoy type x-over looking thing attached to the input terminals and also has two wires comming out of the rear pole piece area. the cast alum. frame is a hammertone BROWN and the badge over the magnet is a pretty blue with shiney gold lettering. The cone is a pleated surround and it looks to have a whizzer cone type thing in the center. HELP!!! Thank you! Steve

Re: Lafayette SK 215 wx 15 inch speakers HELP HELP!!! [message #26221 is a reply to message #26220] Sat, 04 December 2004 13:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
That's cool! Everything is working?

Re: Lafayette SK 215 wx 15 inch speakers HELP HELP!!! [message #26227 is a reply to message #26220] Thu, 09 December 2004 19:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Lafayette used to source many of their loudspeakers from a company called Goodmans. It is a British company that also made drivers up to about 1982. Try that name; there is much info on them on the net.

Re: Lafayette SK 215 wx 15 inch speakers HELP HELP!!! [message #26233 is a reply to message #26220] Mon, 20 December 2004 13:43 Go to previous message
Chef Henry is currently offline  Chef Henry
Esquire
Lafayette put its label on a Goodman's 15" coaxial. It was a true coaxial-which is to say, an electrically and physically separate tweeter was mounted in the middle of the woofer. The Trebex tweeter, a compression driver with a heavy cast horn, was round in cross section, with an oval mouth. Goodmans sold these as a separate component virtually from the infancy of high fidelity.

Marketed by Lafayette as a poor man's Tannoy or Altec 604, the Lafayette whatchamacallit was deluxe in every respect, with a massive Alnico magnet and a cast frame. And while it was not the equal of the Altec or Tannoy, it was not far off the mark.

I don't know what you have. But from your description of the whizzer, it sounds like one of Goodmans' many excellent extended-range drivers, a catagory that includes what many connoisseurs consider to the finest speaker of all time, the Axiom 80.

One of the first serious stereo systems I ever heard consisted of 4 Axiom 80s per channel flush-mounted in a wall, with an 18" Goodmans woofer mounted under a stair case. In today's market, those 8 Axiom 80s would probably be worth more than the house!

Previous Topic: You'll prob'ly like this then
Next Topic: Lenco 35
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun May 12 23:19:03 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout