Home » Audio » General » Dahlquist upgrades
Dahlquist upgrades [message #26124] Tue, 25 May 2004 08:21 Go to next message
jim denton is currently offline  jim denton
Master
Gentlemen: Can I test a cap on my DQ10 crossover for the values---I think all it has on the cap is 1650 Dahlquist --Mexico---the Regnar people want 161.95 to replace 10 caps on 2 speakers---and kinda the same thing for a mid-range woofer and tweeter---no spec's ---to change out the tweeters and mid range woofers would cost $350---plus---I just need to learn how to test for values I guess ---your thoughts Jim

Re: Dahlquist upgrades [message #26125 is a reply to message #26124] Tue, 25 May 2004 12:20 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Measuring a capacitor requires sending it an AC signal and checking its reactive impedance against a known value. There are specialized testers and there are also programs for the PC that will do this. But in your situation - if you suspect the components are in bad shape - I think you'd be better off getting some brand new high-quality caps and rebuilding the crossover.

If the problem is that you don't know what values you've got, then you may want to do some research. The problem is that measurements of the components in the circuit might not give conclusive results. If something is defective, then measurements aren't going to give you the information you need.

About prices, the thing is that a decent crossover capacitor is easily $2.00 to $5.00 for medium values that are common in passive crossovers. Coils are from $2.00 to $20.00. That's not the high dollar stuff either, it's just Dayton or Solen polypropylene caps and stuff like that. Good parts, but not the really expensive stuff. So you can see that cost of parts is probably at least $50.00 or $100.00, maybe more.

If you're on a budget then maybe a complete rebuild isn't necessary. Or if you want to tinker, that's cool. Maybe you can replace parts one at a time to find the ones that are bad and stop when the problem is fixed.

But if you really think the crosover components are bad, it's a simple enough circuit that an entire rebuild is a fairly trivial task. It's like an engine rebuild when a motor gets old - You may only need to replace rocker arms or lifters to make the engine operational, but the rings aren't sealing as well and the bearings are worn. So that makes a complete rebuild attractive to bring an old engine is back to 100% performance.

Previous Topic: BPL Communications
Next Topic: Welcome to Vacuum Tube Valley
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed May 15 10:49:45 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout